Old 16-05-2004, 11:26 PM
David J Bockman

Default Help identify these conifer seeds/seedlings

Definitely Pinus, impossible to say (unless someone recognizes the seed as
unique, I do not) until the juvenile foliage is replaced with the second
flush of growth.

Dave

"Andy Phillips" wrote in message
Hi,

My kids picked up some conifer seeds last autumn - I think from Kew
Gardens - and we stuck them in a pot a month or so ago. To our surprise we
had close to 100% germination and we're now wondering what we're growing.

The seeds were about 1.5 cm long, pale brown with darker streaks. The
seedlings have eight needles and are about 5 cm high at present.

There are images on

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...m?.tok=phBMlHB
BGLFOMNsJ&.dir=/caa5&.src=ph

Sorry about the complicated link, hope it works.

I think they're probably Pinus. Any suggestions as to the species?

Thanks,

Andy