Old 16-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Andy Phillips

Default Help identify these conifer seeds/seedlings

Hi,

My kids picked up some conifer seeds last autumn - I think from Kew
Gardens - and we stuck them in a pot a month or so ago. To our surprise we
had close to 100% germination and we're now wondering what we're growing.

The seeds were about 1.5 cm long, pale brown with darker streaks. The
seedlings have eight needles and are about 5 cm high at present.

There are images on
http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...=/caa5&.src=ph

Sorry about the complicated link, hope it works.

I think they're probably Pinus. Any suggestions as to the species?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 16-05-2004, 11:26 PM
David J Bockman

Definitely Pinus, impossible to say (unless someone recognizes the seed as
unique, I do not) until the juvenile foliage is replaced with the second
flush of growth.

Dave

"Andy Phillips" wrote in message
Hi,

My kids picked up some conifer seeds last autumn - I think from Kew
Gardens - and we stuck them in a pot a month or so ago. To our surprise we
had close to 100% germination and we're now wondering what we're growing.

The seeds were about 1.5 cm long, pale brown with darker streaks. The
seedlings have eight needles and are about 5 cm high at present.

There are images on

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...m?.tok=phBMlHB
BGLFOMNsJ&.dir=/caa5&.src=ph

Old 16-05-2004, 11:28 PM
shazzbat

"Andy Phillips" wrote in message
Hi,

My kids picked up some conifer seeds last autumn - I think from Kew
Gardens -

Isn't that a capital offence? Last time we were there there were signs about
every 3 feet warning us not to take any cuttings, seeds etc. I think if they
catch you they feed you into the shredder or something.

Steve

Old 16-05-2004, 11:28 PM
David Hill

The seed remind me of the seed of the caster oil plant.
Good job you took a picture of the seed before you planted them.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries