Old 17-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Cereus-validus

Default Something red grows in the bird bath

Yeah that's the nasty critter. Thanks Charles.

Chlorine bleach will kill them off. At least, until the next infestation.

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 May 2004 12:03:37 -0700, "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

This may not be the correct forum to ask about this, but I figure a lot

of
people have concrete bird baths in their gardens. One of my bird baths,

it
is concrete, grows some sort of red crud that discolors the water. It
actually cakes on the surface when there is water in it and can be

chipped
off when it dries. My other concrete bird bath doesn't do this. Any idea
what it is and what's causing it? Is it harmful to birds? Any way to get

rid
of it?

Thanks in advance.
Karen
Portland, OR

Haematococcus?

Story he

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...an99/haem.html

http://www.astafactor.com/algae.htm

It is classed as a free-swimming green algae, but has a lot of
orange/red pigment.

--

- Charles
-