Old 17-05-2004, 04:08 PM
ddss

Default Carbon Filters in planted tanks

On Mon, 17 May 2004 06:53:29 +0100 [Commander Vimes]
spake thusly
hi there,

I have just purchased a Jewul aquarium, which comes with a carbon
filter pad as standard. I have read elsewhere that carbon filters
might remove any plnat food that I put in the tank. Is this the case?
If so, any advice on what to do in terms of replacement filter media
would be appreciated,

Yes, activated carbon will remove some of the fertilizers, especially
chelated iron.

I've had my planted 110gal for over 10 years, do not use carbon and see
no reason to do so on a continuous basis. My exception, every month or
so, I'll run a carbon filter as it removes some of the "yellow" color
that builds up over time. I do this after my routine water change and
before I add fertilzer.

Good luck on your setup.

Doug

many thanks,