Old 17-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Rez

Default temp and tomato fruit set

In article , Frogleg wrote:
No one told the random tomatoes we planted here the past couple years.
The hotter it got the better they liked it.

Sorry. I wrote as if this (tomatoes not setting fruit in hot weather)
is universal and absolute. It *is* what many references on growing
tomatoes suggest, and has also been my and friends' experience.

I've noticed that a lot of veggies behave weirdly in this area. You
should see how strange broccoli grows here -- the heading kind doesn't
make heads, it makes leafy things with occasional spates of bloom
(which are tasty but not much to them). Probably due to having a
rather broad climate range (middling winter to severe summer,
sometimes on the same day), low moisture, and soil with very skewed
and sometimes absent nutrients (beyond where you can amend it to
normalcy).

Or maybe it's the relatively high background radiation ... the reason
they put Edwards AFB in the Antelope Valley in the first place, was
because the soil was considered too radioactive for human habitation
(lots of uranium deposits), and they figured a research base wasn't
going to make it any worse. We do see lots of mutated/deformed stink
beetles... Now it's going on half a million residents and is the
fastest growing city in the U.S. Just wait til our mutant descendants
take over the world. g

~REZ~