Old 17-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Lily beetles spreading...

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend. According

the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the south.

I'm
in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned anywhere

else.

Curiously, a lot of people mention Fritillaria imperilalis as another

plant
attacked by them. I only planted these this year - the lilies have been
there a lot longer.

I wonder whether these beetles are in fact being spread with, or are more
strongly attracted to, the Fritillarias - perhaps lilies are only attacked
as a secondary source of food?

Had the damn things here for years, tried planting F. imperialis but they
did for them the second year, destroyed the plants as they came up, no
leaves no food. Those Fritillaria are very strongly scented (being polite!)
so perhaps they attract these beetles, they also have softer leaves than
lilies.

I check my lilies on a daily basis, in fact I check them every time I walk
past.

Don't know the life cycle of these pests so can't comment on the possibility
of them being spread by dormant bulbs. However as the years get warmer a lot
of these South only pests will march North, Leek Moth next?

--
Regards
Bob