Old 17-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Bob

Default Lily beetles spreading...

I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend. According to
the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the south. I'm
in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned anywhere else.

Curiously, a lot of people mention Fritillaria imperilalis as another plant
attacked by them. I only planted these this year - the lilies have been
there a lot longer.

I wonder whether these beetles are in fact being spread with, or are more
strongly attracted to, the Fritillarias - perhaps lilies are only attacked
as a secondary source of food?

Bob

Old 17-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend. According

the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the south.

I'm
in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned anywhere

else.

Curiously, a lot of people mention Fritillaria imperilalis as another

plant
attacked by them. I only planted these this year - the lilies have been
there a lot longer.

I wonder whether these beetles are in fact being spread with, or are more
strongly attracted to, the Fritillarias - perhaps lilies are only attacked
as a secondary source of food?

Had the damn things here for years, tried planting F. imperialis but they
did for them the second year, destroyed the plants as they came up, no
leaves no food. Those Fritillaria are very strongly scented (being polite!)
so perhaps they attract these beetles, they also have softer leaves than
lilies.

I check my lilies on a daily basis, in fact I check them every time I walk
past.

Don't know the life cycle of these pests so can't comment on the possibility
of them being spread by dormant bulbs. However as the years get warmer a lot
of these South only pests will march North, Leek Moth next?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 17-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Juggs

On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:51:56 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

I wonder whether these beetles are in fact being spread with, or are more
strongly attracted to, the Fritillarias - perhaps lilies are only attacked
as a secondary source of food?

I certainly found them on the fritarillaretcy before I found them on
the lilies.

You might want to mention something to RHS, or to the Times Gardener.
It is important, for some reason that escapes me right now, but I do
agree with the general principle, to notify people about the spread of
pests.

Glenys

--
When our schools started teaching the leftist concept of 'provable causal relationships',
Communism gained the upper hand in Vietnam. I think there is a lesson to be learned from that.
Old 17-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Bob
wrote:

I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend. According to
the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the south. I'm
in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned anywhere else.

I've had a few in my London garden for a month. They were always
sitting on either crocus or snowdrop leaves.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 17-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Joanne

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend.

According
to the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the

south.
I'm in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned

anywhere
else.

There are some red lily beetles in my garden in Manchester. Are these a
reportable pest? If so, to whom?

Old 18-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Diane Epps

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
In article , Bob
wrote:

I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend.

According to
the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the south.

I'm
in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned anywhere

else.

I've had a few in my London garden for a month. They were always
sitting on either crocus or snowdrop leaves.

Lazarus

--

I have a can of spray specifically for lily beetle and it seems to work.
Diane

Old 18-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Juggs

On Tue, 18 May 2004 07:47:02 +0100, "Diane Epps"
wrote:

I have a can of spray specifically for lily beetle and it seems to work.

What is the name of this magic potion?

Glenys

Old 19-05-2004, 06:05 AM
nambucca

"Bob" wrote in message
I spotted a couple of lily beetles in the garden last weekend. According

the stuff I've read about them, they've been spreading from the south.

I'm
in Northants, which is further north than I've seen mentioned anywhere

else.

Curiously, a lot of people mention Fritillaria imperilalis as another

plant
attacked by them. I only planted these this year - the lilies have been
there a lot longer.

I wonder whether these beetles are in fact being spread with, or are more
strongly attracted to, the Fritillarias - perhaps lilies are only attacked
as a secondary source of food?

Bob

Well I have grown Lilies for year but this is the first year I have seen
Lily beetle

Had more trouble with Vine weevil destroying my pots of Regal Lillies that
used to scent my conservatory

Old 19-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Bob

wrote:

I have a can of spray specifically for lily beetle and it seems to work.

What is the name of this magic potion?

The RHS website recommends Bio Provado Ultimate Bug Killer.

Bob

Old 19-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Juggs

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:09:17 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

The RHS website recommends Bio Provado Ultimate Bug Killer.

1. I didn't think it was a spray.
2. RHS are less than enthusthiastic about it. They say it has some
efficacy, or something similarly neutral.

Oh well, I am lilyless now, anyway.

Glenys

Old 20-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Bob

wrote:

The RHS website recommends Bio Provado Ultimate Bug Killer.

1. I didn't think it was a spray.
2. RHS are less than enthusthiastic about it. They say it has some
efficacy, or something similarly neutral.

Oh well, I am lilyless now, anyway.

I bought a trigger pack last night, so it is a spray (it does come in other
forms too, though)
Regarding efficacy, the page I read just suggested it as the control. No
mention that it didn't work well.

I've squashed a couple of beetles (caught "in the act" they were!) and
haven't seen anymore, so I'm hoping I've nipped in in the bud...

Bob

lily beetles bugzgrl Gardening 6 28-01-2006 12:00 AM
lily beetles enigma Gardening 5 31-05-2005 10:44 PM
Lily Beetles Spider United Kingdom 4 24-05-2005 07:03 PM
Lily Beetles Colin Jacobs United Kingdom 2 19-02-2005 10:50 PM
lily beetles - what eats them ? And summer bulbs. Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat United Kingdom 14 23-05-2004 05:07 PM