Old 18-05-2004, 04:09 AM
norma briggs

Default temp and tomato fruit set

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101c5e6553b9aca00f3f1208f.1c5e658@p mug.org...
writes:

I've always been under the impression that beefsteaks like warm
weather...

Would seem so. That was my grandparents' market tomato, sold hundreds of
flats of them every year. They lived in the Yakima Valley . . . that's
warm weather!

Glenna

I guess that again --the correct answer is: it depends. I have read
differing ideas about tempatue and fruit setting, most of the literature
claims night temps to be the most crucial. I will see. At this point there
is no turning back but next year I may try to grow varieties that are
recommened by the Texas Ag office breed for the heat. Amazing how as
amateur gardeners we go from just trying to keep the plant alive to wanting
maximum production!