Old 18-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Katra

Default Oyster mushrooms...

In article . net,
belly wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:21:18 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

Built a humidity chamber out of an ice chest instead of using plastic
bags, and started an oyster mushroom culture Saturday afternoon.

Just checked the paper and I've got mycelia already starting, yay!!! :-)

Many thanks to the person that suggested the toilet paper roll method!

I bought 3/4 of a pound of oyster mushrooms last weekend, and Saturday,
I removed and cooked all of the caps, (yum!) and pureed the bases and
stems in my small food processor after soaking it for a bit in bleach
water, then went from there.

I am SO looking forward to this if it works out!!!!

K.

keep us posted, please!

I promise! :-)

So far, no contamination. The mycelia is pure white and growing off of
the minced mushrooms. The "pureed" mushrooms came out more like course
cornmeal so were easy to put into the toilet roll holes.

It also smells good, I understand that contamination will change the
smell from mushroomy to yeasty, and most contaminants are not going to
be white.

If this works, I should have mushrooms sprouting within 6 weeks. The
paper has to colonize completely first.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...