Old 17-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Katra

Default Oyster mushrooms...

Built a humidity chamber out of an ice chest instead of using plastic
bags, and started an oyster mushroom culture Saturday afternoon.

Just checked the paper and I've got mycelia already starting, yay!!! :-)

Many thanks to the person that suggested the toilet paper roll method!

I bought 3/4 of a pound of oyster mushrooms last weekend, and Saturday,
I removed and cooked all of the caps, (yum!) and pureed the bases and
stems in my small food processor after soaking it for a bit in bleach
water, then went from there.

I am SO looking forward to this if it works out!!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 17-05-2004, 10:06 PM
belly

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:21:18 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

Built a humidity chamber out of an ice chest instead of using plastic
bags, and started an oyster mushroom culture Saturday afternoon.

Just checked the paper and I've got mycelia already starting, yay!!! :-)

Many thanks to the person that suggested the toilet paper roll method!

I bought 3/4 of a pound of oyster mushrooms last weekend, and Saturday,
I removed and cooked all of the caps, (yum!) and pureed the bases and
stems in my small food processor after soaking it for a bit in bleach
water, then went from there.

I am SO looking forward to this if it works out!!!!

K.

keep us posted, please!
Old 18-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article . net,
belly wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:21:18 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

Built a humidity chamber out of an ice chest instead of using plastic
bags, and started an oyster mushroom culture Saturday afternoon.

Just checked the paper and I've got mycelia already starting, yay!!! :-)

Many thanks to the person that suggested the toilet paper roll method!

I bought 3/4 of a pound of oyster mushrooms last weekend, and Saturday,
I removed and cooked all of the caps, (yum!) and pureed the bases and
stems in my small food processor after soaking it for a bit in bleach
water, then went from there.

I did this too. how can you tell if there are mycelia?
Old 18-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Katra

In article . net,
belly wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:21:18 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

Built a humidity chamber out of an ice chest instead of using plastic
bags, and started an oyster mushroom culture Saturday afternoon.

Just checked the paper and I've got mycelia already starting, yay!!! :-)

Many thanks to the person that suggested the toilet paper roll method!

I bought 3/4 of a pound of oyster mushrooms last weekend, and Saturday,
I removed and cooked all of the caps, (yum!) and pureed the bases and
stems in my small food processor after soaking it for a bit in bleach
water, then went from there.

I am SO looking forward to this if it works out!!!!

K.

keep us posted, please!

I promise! :-)

So far, no contamination. The mycelia is pure white and growing off of
the minced mushrooms. The "pureed" mushrooms came out more like course
cornmeal so were easy to put into the toilet roll holes.

It also smells good, I understand that contamination will change the
smell from mushroomy to yeasty, and most contaminants are not going to
be white.

If this works, I should have mushrooms sprouting within 6 weeks. The
paper has to colonize completely first.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 04-06-2004, 03:04 AM
BOB

Katra wrote:
In article . net,
belly wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:21:18 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

Built a humidity chamber out of an ice chest instead of using plastic
bags, and started an oyster mushroom culture Saturday afternoon.

Just checked the paper and I've got mycelia already starting, yay!!! :-)

Many thanks to the person that suggested the toilet paper roll method!

I bought 3/4 of a pound of oyster mushrooms last weekend, and Saturday,
I removed and cooked all of the caps, (yum!) and pureed the bases and
stems in my small food processor after soaking it for a bit in bleach
water, then went from there.

I am SO looking forward to this if it works out!!!!

K.

keep us posted, please!

???

I promise! :-)

So far, no contamination. The mycelia is pure white and growing off of
the minced mushrooms. The "pureed" mushrooms came out more like course
cornmeal so were easy to put into the toilet roll holes.

It also smells good, I understand that contamination will change the
smell from mushroomy to yeasty, and most contaminants are not going to
be white.

If this works, I should have mushrooms sprouting within 6 weeks. The
paper has to colonize completely first.

K.

Any more updates...

Thanks,

BOB

Old 04-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Katra

In article ,
" BOB" wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article . net,
belly wrote:

[...]

Still too soon. :-)
Been only 3 weeks I guess and it's supposed to take a couple of months...

The chopped mushrooms have decomposed a bit and settled out, but there
is no rot. The Mycelia is slowly spreading. I may have had it a bit TOO
wet, so I propped the lid and let it dry out for about 8 hours then
closed it back up again. I'm trying to leave it alone and only check it
about every 2 or 3 days.

No contamination at this point, still smells good and the mycelia is
spreading. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...