Old 18-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Galvanized Pond For Temporary Safekeeping

JB - do an advanced google newsgroups search
using rec.ponds as the newsgroup and galvanized
steel tanks for the message content. You'll see
a number of posts suggesting that *new* galvanized
steel tanks release a toxin that is harmful to fish.
If the tank you found is an older one that has
stored water for awhile, it might be ok, but I'm
not sure I'd trust it.
http://groups.google.com/

I've used an older tank - stored rainwater for
a few years - and it did ok as a temporary
storage for minnows and common goldfish,
but got a film on the surface I didn't like. Now
I use strictly hard plastic stock tanks like
the ones Kathy mentions.

For shortterm fish storage I've also seen suggested
kid's play pools, that can be rather large and
also rather cheap.

Gail

"Kathy" wrote in message
It is questionable. Try to find a Rubbermaid. I have been

using them for
years. But I am out here in horse country. I can get them

from the local ACE
Hardware store. A 300 is as big as they sell for moveable

tanks, but it only
cost $189 and you could get a couple and use them, move

them, and make vegie
filters out of them later or a hospital tank.They are a

bit deeper than the
metal ones and they have a bottom drain for easy empty.
Don't dent and non toxic.The easy draining was our big

selling point, no
pumping ! But net them, if you move fish they will jump!
KathyAZ
"JB" wrote in message

ink.net...
Hello!

A few weeks back I asked for suggestions on what to do

with my koi and
goldfish. You see I'm moving and do not have a pond at

my new home. I'm
not
sure where to build the new pond and wanted to live

there for a while to
let
me see where the place tells me a pond is needed. Over

the weekend I found
720 gallon galvanized stock tank that I thought looked

promising as a
temporary home to keep my fish in until I build the new

pond. I wasn't
sure
about whether galvanized steel was a safe environment

for fish. Does
anyone
have any experiences in keeping fish in a galvanized

tank? I figure that
if
I can keep them in temporary housing over the summer

then I can have them
in
a new pond next spring.

Thanks so much for any help.