Old 18-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Barley Straw - ponds

"Fran" wrote in message ...
My copy of "Gardens Illustrated" for April '04 has just arrived and in it

noticed that Nigel Colborn writing as "Mole" comments that:
"The threatened ban on barley straw as an agent for clearing algae from
ponds appears to be in place. Health and Safety officials have now ruled
that it is illegal to sell barley straw for this purpose under the

European
Union ruling that insists that all 'biocidal' roducts be registered."

It's just them trying to get more money out of business, like a tax. In the
US they sell a product made of Caster Oil as a Mole deterrent but over here
the MAFF people demand full (animal!) testing costing tens of thousands of
pounds which is why you can't buy it here. They will not accept the US test
results for obvious reasons. Same has happened with our garden chemicals,
they are being priced out of the market.
Restaurants in France still have their Cheese Boards at Room temperature
'cause it tastes better like that, and sod the EU rules. Why don't we pick
and choose the laws we want too.

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae and why is it supposed

be effective, and IS it effective?

I understood it contained it's own anti algae chemicals, made by the plant
to stop it's leaves getting covered. Whilst I've not used it everyone I know
that has says it has worked.

--
Regards
Bob