Old 18-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Fran

Default Barley Straw - ponds

My copy of "Gardens Illustrated" for April '04 has just arrived and in it I
noticed that Nigel Colborn writing as "Mole" comments that:
"The threatened ban on barley straw as an agent for clearing algae from
ponds appears to be in place. Health and Safety officials have now ruled
that it is illegal to sell barley straw for this purpose under the European
Union ruling that insists that all 'biocidal' roducts be registered."

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae and why is it supposed to
be effective, and IS it effective?

Old 18-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Fran
writes

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae

Get a bundle of it and pop it in the pond - leave.

and why is it supposed to
be effective,

Dunno.

and IS it effective?

Worked for us.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 18-05-2004, 08:11 AM
PK

Diane Epps wrote:
I believe that it works by removing the excess nitrogen from the

water as it rots down.

As the straw decomposes in the lake, it releases a chemical which inhibits
algal growth - otherwise any old straw would do. It has to be barley straw!

pk

Old 18-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Victoria Clare

"Fran" wrote in
u:

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae and why is it
supposed to be effective, and IS it effective?

Dunno how it works, but it definitely does.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 18-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Bob Hobden

"Fran" wrote in message ...
My copy of "Gardens Illustrated" for April '04 has just arrived and in it

noticed that Nigel Colborn writing as "Mole" comments that:
"The threatened ban on barley straw as an agent for clearing algae from
ponds appears to be in place. Health and Safety officials have now ruled
that it is illegal to sell barley straw for this purpose under the

European
Union ruling that insists that all 'biocidal' roducts be registered."

It's just them trying to get more money out of business, like a tax. In the
US they sell a product made of Caster Oil as a Mole deterrent but over here
the MAFF people demand full (animal!) testing costing tens of thousands of
pounds which is why you can't buy it here. They will not accept the US test
results for obvious reasons. Same has happened with our garden chemicals,
they are being priced out of the market.
Restaurants in France still have their Cheese Boards at Room temperature
'cause it tastes better like that, and sod the EU rules. Why don't we pick
and choose the laws we want too.

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae and why is it supposed

be effective, and IS it effective?

I understood it contained it's own anti algae chemicals, made by the plant
to stop it's leaves getting covered. Whilst I've not used it everyone I know
that has says it has worked.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 18-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Tony Bull

"Fran" wrote in message . au...
My copy of "Gardens Illustrated" for April '04 has just arrived and in it I
noticed that Nigel Colborn writing as "Mole" comments that:
"The threatened ban on barley straw as an agent for clearing algae from
ponds appears to be in place. Health and Safety officials have now ruled
that it is illegal to sell barley straw for this purpose under the European
Union ruling that insists that all 'biocidal' roducts be registered."

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae and why is it supposed to
be effective, and IS it effective?

I saw one bit of info on the net that said that the straw produces
humic acid which oxidises water to hydrogen peroxide which, when
present in minute concenrations, kill algae. this would explain the
anecdotal evidence that the barley straw is best when situatd in well
oxygenated water.
I place mine under the outfall of the return from the filter box. My
pond has been clear now for nearly three years depite the fact that it
is in a southerly aspect and last year we had very high sunlight and
high temperatures. There are hundreds of fish in my 16' diameter pond,
but they won't stay still long enough for me to count them. Also my
cat catches at least on per week. I saw my large koi swimming around
with a headless goldfish in its mouth, shaking the goldfish as a
shark would shake a seal.
If you don't want to obey e.c regs just buy pet bedding and make a
criminal of yourself.
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Old 19-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Nick Gray

"Fran" wrote in message
u...
My copy of "Gardens Illustrated" for April '04 has just arrived and in it

noticed that Nigel Colborn writing as "Mole" comments that:
"The threatened ban on barley straw as an agent for clearing algae from
ponds appears to be in place. Health and Safety officials have now ruled
that it is illegal to sell barley straw for this purpose under the

European
Union ruling that insists that all 'biocidal' roducts be registered."

Precisely how is barley straw used to clear algae and why is it supposed

be effective, and IS it effective?

Looks like even the manufacturers of barley mats aren't quite sure how it
works:

http://www.thisisbusiness.co.uk/inde...tion=ar ticle

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 19-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Nick Gray

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Fran" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Just found this from the Health and Safety Executive (March 2004):

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/factsheets/biofact19.pdf - see page 4 & 5

Looks like barley straw when used to control algae in ponds and lakes has a
stay of execution until at least 2007.

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 19-05-2004, 09:05 AM
PK

Nick Gray wrote:
& 5

Looks like barley straw when used to control algae in ponds and lakes
has a stay of execution until at least 2007.

And then just as Armillatox has been re branded as a soap, so can Barley
straw be rebranded as roughage for fish!

pk

Barley straw question elaine Ponds 61 13-01-2011 02:17 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley Straw tasha Ponds 5 26-11-2003 12:02 AM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM