Old 18-05-2004, 09:17 PM
tuin man

Default Slugs and beer

"martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:55:55 GMT, Lemmonie
wrote:

Over the last few months the slugs have been out in force in my garden
eating everything they can. I have tried two different types of slug
pelletts but as an owner of two kitties i was limited in my choice.

So, I had heard about slugs and beer and last night despite the
protests of my husband i took some of his beer and some small pots and
placed them around the garden.

This morning much to my delight the little beer-laden pots were full of
slugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Now, I intended to repeat this victory tonight but the question is do i
need to put fresh beer in every night or will the slug/beer mixture
continue to work?

It will work until the containers are full of dead slugs.
They also like cat food!

Give them Heineken, make them die a horrible lingering death :-)

I once heard someone or other on the radio recounting their trials on this.
Stout, she said was best, so I gave it a try ... but it was easily the
worst.
Heineken or Carlsberg (if they're not the same thing) seem best. I only tend
to check them once a week and 90 slugs is the best record so far. Then it
dropped to 65, unto 40 ish and soon enough not many at all. Until this year
again.
I recently bought more traps for the neighbouring customer. This time they
came with a little pack of "bait".
Well, I guess they weren't lying cos I caught loads of woodlice, but not a
single slug/snail.
And it said it would last for 2 weeks. There wouldn't have being a hosta
left. So, after some searching by hand to destroy the pests, I re-filled
with beer. This time some Portuguese stuff.
Not a lot of success so far, though the hostas are still being munched
greedily. I guess there must be a trace of the "bait" still lingering
around.

Patrick