Old 19-05-2004, 03:04 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

Default Pump/filtering the basics???????

Ancaster/ Hamilton area.
I was thinking of using an old pool pump I can get my hands on. Just valve
the in & outlets. Have the hose in the pond in a filter cage. Leave my
Becket in water pump for the winter months. I take it I just remove the
extensions from the base of the filter box so its as close to the bottom as
possible yet still circulating the water.
As for the pool pump I'd have to fiddle with it to get the right gph flow. I
don't wanna suck up the plants & fish. I doubt it will tell me on the pump.
My next step would be to track down the manufacturer with the model number
to find this info out. Is a pool pump wrong to use for the fact it is not a
submersible pump, and has oiled bearings?
I really don't feel like buying another pump when I just forked out X amount
for a pond kit.
These kits seem like a good buy but when you dig deeper than the 1' it says
it can handle yer "foo-bared."
Yes I'm trying to cheat my cheap as outta buying a new pond pump to handle a
3' rise. I'm talking some serious $$ for that.
And before I forget. Do all these submersible pond pumps have to placed in
some sort of filter box so they don't clog? I'm sure not all come with them
just the pump itself & the housing it sits in.

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Nope - over filtering is not a problem - actually it's better, you don't
need to clean it as often as compared to a smaller one - where in S. Ont.
are you?
Gale :~)

"The~Doofie~Man©" wrote in message
. ..
Okay folks I got the basics down. I had to put a new liner in the other

day
cause I'm a friggin Gump & had water go behind the liner after I re did

the
water fall. (That waterfall looked sweet too) I learned my lesson the

hard
way I guess. I re did the ledges as well. The old liner will be used for
another pond I'll make in another corner of the backyard.

Here's my questions.
I have a ****y little Becket pump. Its rated 300 gph at 1" lift. I have
about a 3' lift with the falls. This puts the GPH at about 70-85 gph. I
gotta have a better filter rate than this correct. I'm a plumber & can

get
a Grundfos recirculating pump off a fellow ass crack shower for free. I

was
thinking this pump (out of water) should do the trick, even if I use it

in
conjunction with the underwater pump. Its oilless so its safe to use. AS

far
as the lift rate I'm working on finding that out. It has to be greater

than
the Becket pump. I bought a 500gph filter as well. I haven't installed

it
yet cause I'm still waiting to get the pump off my co-worker. My main
question is, do I really need to have a filter? I'm assuming plants and

&
good pump(s) doesn't always do the trick. Is there such a thing as over
filtering?
Also the deepest part of the pond to the top of the water level is 2'. I
live in Southern Ontario, will the fish & plants make it through the

winter
in the pond?

One thing I've learned is that pond kits are not worth the $$.

Thanks for all the advice in advance people!!!!