Old 19-05-2004, 12:18 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

Default Pump/filtering the basics???????

Okay folks I got the basics down. I had to put a new liner in the other day
cause I'm a friggin Gump & had water go behind the liner after I re did the
water fall. (That waterfall looked sweet too) I learned my lesson the hard
way I guess. I re did the ledges as well. The old liner will be used for
another pond I'll make in another corner of the backyard.

Here's my questions.
I have a ****y little Becket pump. Its rated 300 gph at 1" lift. I have
about a 3' lift with the falls. This puts the GPH at about 70-85 gph. I
gotta have a better filter rate than this correct. I'm a plumber & can get
a Grundfos recirculating pump off a fellow ass crack shower for free. I was
thinking this pump (out of water) should do the trick, even if I use it in
conjunction with the underwater pump. Its oilless so its safe to use. AS far
as the lift rate I'm working on finding that out. It has to be greater than
the Becket pump. I bought a 500gph filter as well. I haven't installed it
yet cause I'm still waiting to get the pump off my co-worker. My main
question is, do I really need to have a filter? I'm assuming plants and &
good pump(s) doesn't always do the trick. Is there such a thing as over
filtering?
Also the deepest part of the pond to the top of the water level is 2'. I
live in Southern Ontario, will the fish & plants make it through the winter
in the pond?

One thing I've learned is that pond kits are not worth the $$.

Thanks for all the advice in advance people!!!!

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

Old 19-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Gale Pearce

Nope - over filtering is not a problem - actually it's better, you don't
need to clean it as often as compared to a smaller one - where in S. Ont.
are you?
Gale :~)

. ..

Old 19-05-2004, 03:04 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

Ancaster/ Hamilton area.
I was thinking of using an old pool pump I can get my hands on. Just valve
the in & outlets. Have the hose in the pond in a filter cage. Leave my
Becket in water pump for the winter months. I take it I just remove the
extensions from the base of the filter box so its as close to the bottom as
possible yet still circulating the water.
As for the pool pump I'd have to fiddle with it to get the right gph flow. I
don't wanna suck up the plants & fish. I doubt it will tell me on the pump.
My next step would be to track down the manufacturer with the model number
to find this info out. Is a pool pump wrong to use for the fact it is not a
submersible pump, and has oiled bearings?
I really don't feel like buying another pump when I just forked out X amount
for a pond kit.
These kits seem like a good buy but when you dig deeper than the 1' it says
it can handle yer "foo-bared."
Yes I'm trying to cheat my cheap as outta buying a new pond pump to handle a
3' rise. I'm talking some serious $$ for that.
And before I forget. Do all these submersible pond pumps have to placed in
some sort of filter box so they don't clog? I'm sure not all come with them
just the pump itself & the housing it sits in.

--

&

Old 19-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Gale Pearce

I don't really understand the way you're talking about setting this up, but
others on this group use pools pumps - maybe one of them will jump in with
their setup?
I use an in pond pump such as the Beckett you mentioned, but you don't
want to circulate the water in the bottom of your pond during the winter as
that will stress your fish and accomplish nothing - all you need is to keep
an air hole open for gas exchange either with a heater or an airstone and
airpump
The pool pump is an out of pond pump, so the oiled bearings shouldn't be
an issue
The quickest way to shorten a submersible pump's life is letting the
intake ports of a pump get clogged with debris (leaves, algae etc) so we
protect them with a prefilter of some sort - anything from a homemade mesh
container up to a skimmer box and checking your setup often to keep the pump
running free. You can restrict the flow of the pump on the "outflow" side ,
but not the "intake" side to regulate water flow
Gale :~) also SW ONT (35 mi east of Windsor)

Old 19-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Janet

You really don't need to use a pool pump for a 3 foot lift. We are using a
Laguna Powerjet 7000 (pumps 2142 US GPH) to pump to our top pond and run our
stream. Our lift is about 6 feet. We have it set up with a diverter and
don't run it full tilt. On the weekend we ran across a Mag Drive rated at
1150 GPH that our local aquarium store was willing to part with for under
$100. Remember too, pool pumps are far from energy efficient! We run the
ponds and stream 24/7 all year and never notice it on the hydro bill. We
open the pool and I see that pump on the hydro bill! O (Definitely a
concern with hydro rates going up in Ont)
Janet in Niagara Falls with fish spawning *again*

Old 19-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Iguana

The~Doofie~Man© wrote:
[...]

- That Beckett definitely is very small, though we would need to know how
many gallons your pond is. If I remember correctly, you want to be able to
re-circulate 1/2 your pond in a 1 hour period, something like that, plus the
rise(s) for fountains, waterfalls, etc. My pond is approx:: 500 gallons, I
run a fountain off the pump(figure a 1 foot rise), and my waterfall is
another 3 feet of rise or so. Like Janet, I am running a Laguna 7000, which
is rated for 2142 gph, which I hopefully had calcultaed way back when that
it is definitely sufficient.

- Janet mentioned it, pool pumps, and other pumps not specifically meant to
run 24/7, can end up costing you an arm and a leg in hydro, especially with
the Liberals in power! g Also, are these pumps rated to run 24/7 for 8
months of the year?

- Yes, you need some form of filtering unless you have a huge pond that can
filter itself naturally. Plants won't do it alone, and the pump won't do any
filtering(in fact, you want some form of pre-filter to make sure the pump
doesn't clog with debris and burn the pump out.), so you need filtration,
the more the better.

- 2' will do you fine in Southern Ontario for standard fish(goldfish, etc),
and will also do well for most plants. 2' is pushing it for Koi, though my
Koi did survive this past winter, and my pond is only 22" at the deep end.
I'd avoid Koi with only 2' of depth, I like the 3' to 4' rule for Koi(my Koi
just committed suicide a few weeks back by jumping out of the pond, so I
guess I have no Koi worries...). You don't want to run your pump in the
winter, you just need something that will keep an air hole open in the pond.
I have a 1200 watt heater I use in the winter(tried 100 watt model, didn't
do the trick this past year), did a great job, and as it has a thermostat(it
has some form of stat), it turns off when it doesn't need to do any work,
thus I never saw this heater affect my hydro bill.

Good Luck from Brampton!

Old 20-05-2004, 12:09 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

I'm going to go get a Laguna 2000 or 3000.
My pond is 550 gallons. The TOTAL rise from bottom of pond to top of water
fall is almost 4' WITH travel in pipe.
Pump sits in 2' for h2O & add a 2' for pipe travel and overall height. I
think if I read the flow chart on the 2000 correctly I have enough vertical
lift to circulate almost the entire pond in a hour or so. Hell I might have
to go with the 3000. Going over is better than going under.
Thanks for your help sir!!!!

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"
Putting the fun back in FUNeral!!
http://www.geocities.com/doof70/index.html

"Iguana" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...