Old 19-05-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Satsuki problem - bark splitting

I thought I'd post this and see if I can get some help. I have perhaps
12-15 Satsuki ranging in size from 4" starter pots up to a gallon size
or a bit bigger. I have bought all of these in the last two years, so
I don't have a lot of experience with them. Two months ago or so I
started seeing bark splitting in 7-8 of the plants, some very severe.
I have tried to seal them up as well as possible with Lac Balsam, but
I assume the condition is irreversible. What caused it?? From what I
have found, freezing can do this, but I think we only had 5-6 days
below 32F last winter here. Maybe 28F. was the lowest temperature.
I've also read that fertilizing too late in the summer can cause this
(which I probably did). The plants were also pruned late in the year,
around August. Most of the information I've found has been vague, and
I'm hoping to find someone with some experience to confirm this or
perhaps add to it. I obviously don't intend to fertilize or prune this
late again. But I'm afraid to do much of anything at this point,
although I have a couple new plants that I feel need pruned back. Any
help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lauren
NW Oregon, zone 8