Old 19-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Theo

Default Satsuki problem - bark splitting

wrote:

HI
I have 3 azaleas as bonsai since 12 years

-I use acidic soil
-I cut off ovaries as soon as each flower fall
-after flowering period I giv a tea spoon of rhododendrons fertilizer
& I wait 10- 15 days before repotting or pruning branches.. ( this
happens in april may..
- nex't season's flower starts coming out in july .. so do not prune ,
but you can cut back too long shots to 2 leaves and just leave 2 new
shots on each branch
-I give some more fertilizer in september
I keep them all the time in sunshine ( beside of teh flowering period
that I take them inside or mid shadow
-I never put them inside a basin of water and if so no more than 2
minutes .. azaleas roots choke very esily
-even if azaleas bud esily form old wood is always better to leave fone
pair of leaves on a pruned branch
-never leave her soil dry out nor stay soggy
wiring is difficult use wrapped wire as they snap easily , it is
better shaping by cutting
-they love sweet and not calcar water
- when chlorosis sets in ( leaves get clearer and see veins give some
irontone or similar
- for repotting they are very slow growing can stay in the same pot for
4-5 or more years easily

perhaps add to it. I obviously don't intend to fertilize or prune this
late again. But I'm afraid to do much of anything at this point,
although I have a couple new plants that I feel need pruned back. Any
help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lauren
NW Oregon, zone 8

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefocault)