Old 19-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Paul D.Smith

Default Can anyone identify these plants?

FYI,

Your pictures are BMP (bitmap) files. You probably tried to name the file
"noddy.jpg" expecting to get a JPEG file but your software was set to "save
as bitmap" so appended the ".bmp" to indicate "I've saved as a bitmap".

This also explains the large file sizes. Bitmaps are relatively large
whereas JPEGs use lossy compression to greatly reduce the size of some
pictures. Don't worry about the "lossy" bit - for most pictures it makes no
noticeable difference.

So next time you use "Save As", look around for an option, typically a drop
down list, that selects the file time, just enter "noddy" for the filename
and let the software append the appropriate file extension, which should end
up as ".jpg". If it doesn't, you saved as a different format (such as
Bitmap).

If you get stuck, let me know the application type and I'll help if I can
quickly.

Regards,
Paul DS.