Old 19-05-2004, 01:02 PM
SugarChile

Default Woodchucks and Tomatoes

Around here, there are so many groundhogs, that if you trap or shoot one,
another will just move into its territory. I've worked out a shaky truce
with mine--I fence the things they really like, and try to keep them out of
the rest of the garden with bribery. I leave offerings--half a head of
lettuce that's been too long in the fridge, apples past their prime--at the
edge of the compost pile, which is in-between the burrow and the garden. I
also spot her grazing in the lawn--I don't use pesticides, and have a
variety of wild things growing in with the grass.

And once the apples ripen in the autumn, and start dropping, she gorges on
them and leaves the garden alone.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA
"Frank Logullo" wrote in message news:ctHqc.2987
They may not like the plants but they will like the tomatos. IMHO

trapping
is only real solution - unless you can shoot them.
Frank