Old 19-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Woodchucks and Tomatoes

I have noticed that my local woodchucks have not bothered my tomatoe plants.
Apparently they don't like them. Anyone else have this experience? I was
wondering if perhaps you could be put tomatoes around other plants that
they do like in order to protect them.
Old 19-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Frank Logullo

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
I have noticed that my local woodchucks have not bothered my tomatoe

plants.
Apparently they don't like them. Anyone else have this experience? I was
wondering if perhaps you could be put tomatoes around other plants that
they do like in order to protect them.

They may not like the plants but they will like the tomatos. IMHO trapping
is only real solution - unless you can shoot them.
Frank

Old 19-05-2004, 01:02 PM
SugarChile

Around here, there are so many groundhogs, that if you trap or shoot one,
another will just move into its territory. I've worked out a shaky truce
with mine--I fence the things they really like, and try to keep them out of
the rest of the garden with bribery. I leave offerings--half a head of
lettuce that's been too long in the fridge, apples past their prime--at the
edge of the compost pile, which is in-between the burrow and the garden. I
also spot her grazing in the lawn--I don't use pesticides, and have a
variety of wild things growing in with the grass.

And once the apples ripen in the autumn, and start dropping, she gorges on
them and leaves the garden alone.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 19-05-2004, 02:02 PM
H Hornblower

On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:01:37 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:

I have noticed that my local woodchucks have not bothered my tomatoe plants.
Apparently they don't like them. Anyone else have this experience? I was
wondering if perhaps you could be put tomatoes around other plants that
they do like in order to protect them.

They'll wait untill the tomatoes are perfectly ripe and then start in
on the best ones. They'll tear down a vine to get at the ones they
can't reach. They are the garden animal from hell. trappimg...
22...antifreeze
Old 19-05-2004, 03:04 PM
simy1

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message ...
I have noticed that my local woodchucks have not bothered my tomatoe plants.
Apparently they don't like them. Anyone else have this experience? I was
wondering if perhaps you could be put tomatoes around other plants that
they do like in order to protect them.

Good thing to know because this year my tomatoes will be unfenced for
the first month. I can also tell you that my potatoes (another
solanacea) are unprotected year after year and for one row a deer-made
trail is less than 5 ft away. The other row is often directly crossed
by a woodchuck on his way to lunch. Never lost a plant. They must be
toxic to other mammals as they are to us.

[IMG] code is On

Woodchucks Just Seem To Know Way Back Jack[_10_] Gardening 5 14-06-2012 05:07 AM
Two more woodchucks Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 15-07-2006 05:54 PM
Do woodchucks eat clover? George Edible Gardening 1 11-07-2006 10:11 PM
Vegetable Garden and Woodchucks Stacey Malden Gardening 5 09-01-2006 11:32 AM
What's up with my tomatoes - cherry tomatoes? TLR Texas 0 09-08-2003 08:42 PM