Old 19-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Mosquito Magnet

the actual theory is ... attract and remove "breeders" that is the females and they
wont be around to lay eggs and start an exponential growing population skeeters for
the rest of the year. now we didnt get the MM for my mother until well into mosquito
season. and she moved it around until she wasnt getting bit. in fact, she moved it
very close to where she worked in her gardens and evidently the mosquitos went for
the trap not my mother. having lived most of my life above this particular swamp, I
can say without reserve it is hell to go out at almost any time of the day and
drought included the mosquitoes are there and biting.
I dont know why anyone would say the trap is overwhelmed. the skeeters go in, get
trapped, dessicate nicely. the bag is never actually full like we would think a
vacuum bag is "full".
there is no caveat about it, it states quite BOLDLY that the MM must be on 24/7 for
minimum 4-6 weeks. At least in my mothers experience the trap started working right
away. we will see this year. it probably would be a good idea to get it going as
soon as the first hatch of mosquitoes emerge. Ingrid

Salty Thumb wrote:
...Another type of mosquito trap goes a step further. It uses propane to
produce carbon dioxide and heat to draw the mosquitoes close enough to be
sucked into a fan-driven trap. Though these propane-fueled devices may
trap thousands of mosquitoes in a few days, there are again generally
hundreds of thousands or even millions of mosquitoes an acre to deal
with, thereby overwhelming the trap and its ability to effectively limit
bites.

A warning flag on these devices is that they come with the caveat that
they must be left on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and then the
owner will only realize a lowering of mosquito numbers in four to six
weeks.

"With most mosquito species, weather conditions and the insect's breeding
patterns will result in a decline in four to six weeks without any
intervention," Olson said.

As with the bug zappers, the propane-fueled devices may actually draw
more mosquitoes from long distances onto your property than can be
controlled to prevent bites.

The question here is will these extra mosquitoes wait to be collected by
the trap or take the opportunity to feed upon the trap's owner?

"It's probably a toss-up," Olson said. "Plus, with the fact that running
the propane burner 24/7 will draw more and more mosquitoes onto your
property, you're probably not going to lessen your chances of being
bitten."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com