Old 18-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Sherman

Default Mosquito Magnet

Has anyone used one of these to lessen the biting critter population in
their yards and gardens?

Sherman

Old 19-05-2004, 12:07 AM
KCnRichmond

People here get 4 or so families involved and split he cost 4 ways. Then put
the MM in the corner of the four yards,and let it run 24/7..Then each month
take turns buying the propane, nets, and octenol baits....Works great
through mosquito season.
A typical yard runs about 12000' sq. so the 1 acre model works great...This
will be the 2nd year in use, so we will see what happened to the population
from last year...I think Isabel is going to re-haunt us though...Stump
holes, etc....

Old 19-05-2004, 12:09 AM
David Hill

".... we got one for my mother who lives at the top of a hill
overlooking a swamp. Ingrid ........"

With that sort of trade, I wonder if I would get one for the wife?

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 19-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Lar

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:42:30 -0400, "Sherman"
wrote:

Has anyone used one of these to lessen the biting critter population in
their yards and gardens?

I would think close to two dozen or more of my customers have
purchased them over the last couple of years, haven't heard one say
they thought it was effective.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 19-05-2004, 04:03 AM
J Kolenovsky

Besides what's mentioned in the referenced article below, the chemical
harms butterflies and moths and their pupae/larvae. It's rumored not to
be good for humans, either.

JK

May 1, 2003
MANY MOSQUITO CONTROLS ONLY HAMMER BUYER=92S POCKETBOOK
Writer: Robert Burns (903) 834-6191,
Source: Dr. Jimmy Olson (979) 845-5037,

OVERTON =96 When it comes to mosquito control devices, about the only
thing that works is common sense, says an entomologist with Texas A&M
University.

snip

"What's particularly disturbing to Olson are the pesticide misting
devices now on the market. There are several models, but they generally
work by
emitting small puffs of the insecticides at timed intervals around a
house's perimeter. The devices are expensive, costing as much as $5,000,
and
their effectiveness is suspect. Worse is the amount of pesticide they
release
into the environment over time and the possibility of inhalation by
residents
and the drift of the pesticide to other properties."

"It's about the most indiscriminate, irresponsible use of a chemical
control that I've ever seen," Olson said.

Full article:
http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/sto...O/May0103a.htm

Mike Quinn, New Braunfels, TX,

Sherman wrote:
=

Has anyone used one of these to lessen the biting critter population in=

their yards and gardens?
=

Sherman

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 -
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 19-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Salty Thumb

"David Hill" wrote in news:c8e3ql
:

".... we got one for my mother who lives at the top of a hill
overlooking a swamp. Ingrid ........"

With that sort of trade, I wonder if I would get one for the wife?

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

at the risk of getting pelted by rotten tomatoes ...

.... I dunno, if she's in good shape, ask them to throw in a free propane
tank.

"Where the men are men, the women are men and the mosquito magnets are
scared."
Old 19-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

".... we got one for my mother who lives at the top of a hill
overlooking a swamp. Ingrid ........"

With that sort of trade, I wonder if I would get one for the wife?

Or Nuisance Neighbours, Crapping Cats, Greenfly....

Last summer the machines were imported here (west Scotland) to trial
control of midges, which are much tinier than mosquitoes but very bad
biters. Over three months, one of the local hotels collected 6 pounds of
dead midges from their "magnet", and reckoned it made a huge difference
to customers enjoyment of the garden.

Janet (Isle of Arran).

Old 19-05-2004, 02:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Salty, I just started looking into this subject and still a green banana
on it. I think the chemical in question is a form of pyrethrin - oid,
noid, etc, whatever. I need to look more into this. The organic people I
know say this too. I probably need to make reference to misters and not
magents.

JK

Salty Thumb wrote:
=

J Kolenovsky wrote in news:40AACFA1.B56D1666@hal-
pc.org:
=

Besides what's mentioned in the referenced article below, the chemica=

harms butterflies and moths and their pupae/larvae. It's rumored not =

be good for humans, either.

JK

=

What chemical would that be? The question was about Mosquito Magnet
which is a registered trademark of American Biophysics Corp.
http://www.ambiophysics.com/ which uses octenol, carbon dioxide and
water.
=

The relevant information from the link you cited a
... fortunately for the mosquito, the pest is not attracted by the soun=

of heartbeats but by the carbon dioxide and heat large mammals such as
humans emit.
=

=

...Another type of mosquito trap goes a step further. It uses propane t=

produce carbon dioxide and heat to draw the mosquitoes close enough to =

be
sucked into a fan-driven trap. Though these propane-fueled devices may
trap thousands of mosquitoes in a few days, there are again generally
hundreds of thousands or even millions of mosquitoes an acre to deal
with, thereby overwhelming the trap and its ability to effectively limi=

bites.
=

A warning flag on these devices is that they come with the caveat that
they must be left on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and then the
owner will only realize a lowering of mosquito numbers in four to six
weeks.
=

"With most mosquito species, weather conditions and the insect's breedi=

ng
patterns will result in a decline in four to six weeks without any
intervention," Olson said.
=

As with the bug zappers, the propane-fueled devices may actually draw
more mosquitoes from long distances onto your property than can be
controlled to prevent bites.
=

The question here is will these extra mosquitoes wait to be collected b=

the trap or take the opportunity to feed upon the trap's owner?
=

"It's probably a toss-up," Olson said. "Plus, with the fact that runnin=

the propane burner 24/7 will draw more and more mosquitoes onto your
property, you're probably not going to lessen your chances of being
bitten."

=

=

-- =

Old 19-05-2004, 02:05 PM

and everyone.... DONT forget to purge with the CO2 cannister as recommended.
replacing the nozzle is EXPENSIVE. or so somebody on the list said last year.
Ingrid

"Sherman" wrote in message
Has anyone used one of these to lessen the biting critter population in
their yards and gardens?

Sherman

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-05-2004, 02:08 PM

wrong machine. MM uses CO2 and an attractant to pull in mosquitoes, nothing else.
In fact, my mother doesnt use the attractant. Ingrid

J Kolenovsky wrote:
Besides what's mentioned in the referenced article below, the chemical
harms butterflies and moths and their pupae/larvae. It's rumored not to
be good for humans, either.

JK

May 1, 2003
MANY MOSQUITO CONTROLS ONLY HAMMER BUYER’S POCKETBOOK
Writer: Robert Burns (903) 834-6191,
Source: Dr. Jimmy Olson (979) 845-5037,

OVERTON – When it comes to mosquito control devices, about the only

Sherman wrote:

Has anyone used one of these to lessen the biting critter population in
their yards and gardens?

Sherman

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 19-05-2004, 03:02 PM

the actual theory is ... attract and remove "breeders" that is the females and they
wont be around to lay eggs and start an exponential growing population skeeters for
the rest of the year. now we didnt get the MM for my mother until well into mosquito
season. and she moved it around until she wasnt getting bit. in fact, she moved it
very close to where she worked in her gardens and evidently the mosquitos went for
the trap not my mother. having lived most of my life above this particular swamp, I
can say without reserve it is hell to go out at almost any time of the day and
drought included the mosquitoes are there and biting.
I dont know why anyone would say the trap is overwhelmed. the skeeters go in, get
trapped, dessicate nicely. the bag is never actually full like we would think a
vacuum bag is "full".
there is no caveat about it, it states quite BOLDLY that the MM must be on 24/7 for
minimum 4-6 weeks. At least in my mothers experience the trap started working right
away. we will see this year. it probably would be a good idea to get it going as
soon as the first hatch of mosquitoes emerge. Ingrid

Salty Thumb wrote:
...Another type of mosquito trap goes a step further. It uses propane to
produce carbon dioxide and heat to draw the mosquitoes close enough to be
sucked into a fan-driven trap. Though these propane-fueled devices may
trap thousands of mosquitoes in a few days, there are again generally
hundreds of thousands or even millions of mosquitoes an acre to deal
with, thereby overwhelming the trap and its ability to effectively limit
bites.

A warning flag on these devices is that they come with the caveat that
they must be left on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and then the
owner will only realize a lowering of mosquito numbers in four to six
weeks.

"With most mosquito species, weather conditions and the insect's breeding
patterns will result in a decline in four to six weeks without any
intervention," Olson said.

As with the bug zappers, the propane-fueled devices may actually draw
more mosquitoes from long distances onto your property than can be
controlled to prevent bites.

The question here is will these extra mosquitoes wait to be collected by
the trap or take the opportunity to feed upon the trap's owner?

"It's probably a toss-up," Olson said. "Plus, with the fact that running
the propane burner 24/7 will draw more and more mosquitoes onto your
property, you're probably not going to lessen your chances of being
bitten."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List