Old 19-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Reka

Default How to get these orchids to bloom?

Also, maybe if you tell us what you *do* get to bloom alongside these, we
could tell what your conditions are like.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"K Barrett" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Alison" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have a blc/pot cross which I got as a seedling, which has finally
reached blooming size.

Maybe not. Some of these have to get rather big in order to come to
blooming size. Do you know the cross?

The last 2 shoots to mature, had something in
the centre that looked like it was going to develop into a spike, but
before it got to be more than a little knob, it stopped growing &
turned brown at the tip. They looked dried out but I did not change
the watering, and had read somewhere that you should actually cut back
on watering when the shoot matures, & move it to a cooler place -- but
if it's drying out with normal watering that doesn't sound like a good
idea. It lives on a south windowsill with a sheer curtain.

Could also be just an immature p/bulb trying to get to blooming size and
aborting the sheath because its not mature enough. Or a draft, or
fluctuating temps/ambient humidity with weather variation. Hard to say.
And hard to control on a windowsill.

The idea behind a cooler place WITH A POTINARA is to take advantage of the
deeper color the sophronitis gives to the flower. I wouldn't necessartily
do so with all flowers.

Also I have a beallara which was supposed to be blooming size
according to the vendor, but didn't bloom on the last shoot. It's now
growing another.
And, for that matter, I just remembered the ascocentrum which bloomed
2 years ago & has not done so again. Nothing has changed in its
growing conditions. Same place, same watering habits.
I do have orchid fertilizer which is supposed to encourage blooming.
Is there something more I should be doing with these, to coax them to
bloom?
Suggestions appreciated; thanks

How about being sure they are getting at least a 10 F diurnal fluctuation

in
temps?

K Barrett

---