Old 19-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Gail Futoran

Default New to roses -- help?

"Orchid" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2004 01:50:33 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

[some snips ahead]

I'll keep that in mind. If something doesn't thrive,

can
I remove the plant and use the hole, or am I digging

another hole?

I always replace the soil before planting a new
rose, but that's not hard once amended and you're
using the same hole. If a rose dies quickly and you're
pretty sure it's due to something eating it, like deer or
rabbits, you could probably even use the same soil.

I had to laugh -- my climber 'Compassion' has a flower on

it.
Even though it's still in the seedling pot. I guess I

don't have to
worry about it *too* much.

Nice! I love seeing that. Some roses will bloom a
lot more quickly than others. Most of my noisettes
(climbers) bloomed a month before some of the
other roses in my garden.

I'll keep that mind -- as for the hole size, I've given up

and
hired a terribly nice young tanned man to dig my holes for

me
tomorrow. Easier and with the added bonus of

something nice to
watch.

Very very sensible. If I were smart I would have
done the same, but there's something satisfying
about digging a really big hole in the ground. (I
know, I need to get a life...)

Rocks? I've never done that but I probably
don't have your exact soil conditions.

The nursery said to dig the hole put water in it, and if

it
hadn't drained in 24 hours to put a 4-5" layer of rocks in

the bottom
for better drainage.

Now I understand. I don't see why that wouldn't
work. Maybe someone else on the group will
have some input.

What I did for my soil was mix a little over half the soil
from the top of the hole with equal parts Leafgro and

Super Fine soil
conditioner. This has worked for me in the past when I've

done tilled
beds.

That should work. You can also work some
perlite into the soil to keep it from compacting,
but that's something you can even do in later
years.

Well, since the nice young man is digging my holes for me
tomorrow, I'm not going to worry about potting and just

get them in
the ground tomorrow. I live in a non-garage townhouse so

I don't have
anywhere I could put giant pots during the winter. But

thanks for the
tip!

You're welcome.

No-till is a growing organic movement that espouses not
tilling beds at all. Not only is it *way* easier (always

a good
thing) but it doesn't disrupt the good things in soil like

earthworms,
beneficial bacteria, nematodes (which hunt down grubs),

and beneficial
fungi. To plant using it, you lay compost, plant your
seeds/seedlings, and then mulch over it. Worms and other

natural
breakers down of soil will move up into the new 'top

layer' and
convert it into natural topsoil that's loose and aerated

and just
wonderful for plants.

Thanks for the information and the links. I tend to
do that anyway for my rose and herb beds, but it's
nice to know there's a reason for it (other than my
inherent laziness!).

Some good links:

http://www.farm-garden.com/primers/2...-gardening.htm

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/backtob...ardening.shtml