Old 19-05-2004, 09:02 PM
GoldLexus

Default New growth turned brown!

Soil is clay but I prepared the area with a compost (a mushroom compost and
steer manure (sp?)) before planting. I dug the hole deeper than the roots
were long and twice as big around. We have had a combination of weather.
Right after planting it got warm for a few days, in the 70-80's. I watered
when it was warm. Have had rain lately. The area gets plenty of sun. I have
a row of established roses behind where I put the new roses they are
blooming like crazy! I have had several nice cut bouquets already.
I called the nursery and they are willing to refund my money with a receipt
but I can't find that receipt so I am screwed.
I want to replace these roses. What is the best way to purchase roses this
late in the game. I want to get unusually colors. One rose I got was a
lavendar color (it still has one green cane) one was called 'Lemon and
Oranges' (all canes are brown but I don't remember them being green when I
bought it actually. Thought maybe that variety of rose just had brown canes.
The person at the nursery didn't say anything either.) the other was your
average pink rose and cost the least.
I am new to roses so I had to rely on the advice at the nursery.
Thanks for your input!

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:48:55 GMT, "GoldLexus"
wrote:

I bought the roses at a nusery that is very popular and endorsed by the

Rose
Society. I spent good money for these roses. No I didn't soak them,

neither
instructions nor the people at the nursery suggested that.
So they are dead?

A couple of questions.

How did you dig your hole?

Did you fertilize when you planted?

BTW, those bare roots in a bag are usually not the best quality. You
happen to live very near probably the best bare root company in the
US, Edmund's Roses, which is in Wilsonville, OR. I don't know if they
sell on-site (I think that they're mail order only), but you should
try them out. You'll be surprised at the difference in robustness
between their roses and these "roses in a bag".

Also, The Uncommon Rose is also in Oregon (Corwallis). They have great
"own-root" roses. They are smaller and take a little longer to really
get going, but they have a lot of advantages.

Oh yeah, one other question. How's your soil? Lots of clay?

http://www.edmundsroses.com/
http://www.uncommonrose.com/
"ben boorman" wrote in message
depending on the grade of the roses, walmart special 1.5 or good

nursery
bought grade 1's. did you soak the roses for a day before you planted
them? they will lose moisture in transit, you bought them late so they
were probably dried out. cut your losses and get new nursery cared for
or wait, roses can take a long times sometimes. good soil, warm

weather
and exposure to sun....

ben

GoldLexus wrote:
I planted 3 new rose bushes about a month and half ago. They are I

think
what is referred to bare root roses (as opposed to ones in gallon
containers), the roots were in a wood chip filled bag around the

roots
with
the canes exposed. Anyway, they looked like they were beginning to

show
signs of new growth on a couple of them but now that new growth is

brown
and
dry looking. The canes one these same two are green for the most

part.
On
the third rose the canes are brown and never really saw new growth on

it
like the other two. Actually the new growth on the other two was only

like 2
leave buds on each nothing more. I am new to planting roses. I just

moved
into this house a year ago, it had 4 overgrown and neglected bushes

that
pruned and had blooming all the way thru' October. I live in Oregon

and
it
has been raining so they are not dried out.
Any suggestions? Are they still alive? Should I give up on them?