Old 13-05-2004, 06:05 AM
GoldLexus

Default New growth turned brown!

I planted 3 new rose bushes about a month and half ago. They are I think
what is referred to bare root roses (as opposed to ones in gallon
containers), the roots were in a wood chip filled bag around the roots with
the canes exposed. Anyway, they looked like they were beginning to show
signs of new growth on a couple of them but now that new growth is brown and
dry looking. The canes one these same two are green for the most part. On
the third rose the canes are brown and never really saw new growth on it
like the other two. Actually the new growth on the other two was only like 2
leave buds on each nothing more. I am new to planting roses. I just moved
into this house a year ago, it had 4 overgrown and neglected bushes that I
pruned and had blooming all the way thru' October. I live in Oregon and it
has been raining so they are not dried out.
Any suggestions? Are they still alive? Should I give up on them?

Old 13-05-2004, 11:13 PM
ben boorman

depending on the grade of the roses, walmart special 1.5 or good nursery
bought grade 1's. did you soak the roses for a day before you planted
them? they will lose moisture in transit, you bought them late so they
were probably dried out. cut your losses and get new nursery cared for
or wait, roses can take a long times sometimes. good soil, warm weather
and exposure to sun....

ben

Old 13-05-2004, 11:14 PM
GoldLexus

I bought the roses at a nusery that is very popular and endorsed by the Rose
Society. I spent good money for these roses. No I didn't soak them, neither
instructions nor the people at the nursery suggested that.
So they are dead?

Old 14-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Gail Futoran

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
I bought the roses at a nusery that is very popular and

endorsed by the Rose
Society. I spent good money for these roses. No I didn't

soak them, neither
instructions nor the people at the nursery suggested that.
So they are dead?

If all canes are brown on one rose bush, it's probably
dead, given that your other rose bushes have green
canes. (Hard to tell from your description.)

There are so many variables, like what kind of
soil (lots of rain isn't good if you have heavy
soil + poor drainage), amount of sun the roses
get (most need 6 hours of direct sun daily),
whether you've been feeding them (not advised
for new plantings), etc. that affect rose bush
performance/health.

If the nursery is really as reputable as you
seem to be saying, I'd take the dead one
back for replacement or refund, and then ask
questions about proper planting, etc. to see if
you can help the live roses along.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 14-05-2004, 07:07 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 14 May 2004 16:48:14 GMT, "GoldLexus"
wrote:

Soil is clay but I prepared the area with a compost (a mushroom compost and
steer manure (sp?)) before planting. I dug the hole deeper than the roots
were long and twice as big around.

If you have clay, I'd recommend going even deeper next time. I'd
probably go at least three feet deep, if not more, if I had a heavily
clay soil. The deeper you can go, the better. What you'll end up with
is basically a giant planter pot, because the clay won't drain water
very well. So, the larger you can make the "pot", the better off
you'll be.

Here are some great instructions from Edmunds. The mulching part is
important, as is building a little cone in the bottom of the hole:

http://www.edmundsroses.com/service-planting.html

Note that I'm recommending going deeper than they recommend, basically
due to your clay soil. What you'll want to do is go down deep and fill
the bottom with your compost/manure/topsoil/etc mixture until you get
to the level that you need to get the bud union around soil level.
That might mean putting a foot or two of soil in before you create
your mound.

Also, I wouldn't use anything like Miracle-Gro soil because it's got
fertilizer in it.

I've never soaked my bare roots first, mainly because Edmunds Roses
have always been still damp upon arrival. Considering where you live,
I don't think you'll have any problem with drying out in shipment (I
live in Tennessee) because even those roses that they've shipped at
the end of May in hot weather have remained damp). It couldn't hurt to
soak them though.

We have had a combination of weather.
Right after planting it got warm for a few days, in the 70-80's. I watered
when it was warm. Have had rain lately. The area gets plenty of sun. I have
a row of established roses behind where I put the new roses they are
blooming like crazy! I have had several nice cut bouquets already.

Well, they're already established. It will take a couple of years for
most new bare roots to really go crazy.

I called the nursery and they are willing to refund my money with a receipt
but I can't find that receipt so I am screwed.

Keep on them. Tell them you lost it and take pictures of your whole
planting. Show them that you only want to replace the one bad one.
Guilt them if necessary g.

I want to replace these roses. What is the best way to purchase roses this
late in the game.

It's not that late yet. I've planted as late as the weekend after
Memorial Day with no problems.

I want to get unusually colors.

Definitely check out The Uncommon Rose then. That's one thing they
specialize in.

One rose I got was a
lavendar color (it still has one green cane) one was called 'Lemon and
Oranges' (all canes are brown but I don't remember them being green when I
bought it actually. Thought maybe that variety of rose just had brown canes.
The person at the nursery didn't say anything either.) the other was your
average pink rose and cost the least.
I am new to roses so I had to rely on the advice at the nursery.
Thanks for your input!

You didn't say whether or not you fertilized. If you did, that wasn't
the best thing you could have done. The most you want to do is maybe a
little bone meal (or is it blood meal - someone will weigh in here) in
the bottom.

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 May 2004 21:48:55 GMT, "GoldLexus"
wrote:

I bought the roses at a nusery that is very popular and endorsed by the

Rose
Society. I spent good money for these roses. No I didn't soak them,

neither
instructions nor the people at the nursery suggested that.
So they are dead?

A couple of questions.

How did you dig your hole?

Did you fertilize when you planted?

BTW, those bare roots in a bag are usually not the best quality. You
happen to live very near probably the best bare root company in the
US, Edmund's Roses, which is in Wilsonville, OR. I don't know if they
sell on-site (I think that they're mail order only), but you should
try them out. You'll be surprised at the difference in robustness
between their roses and these "roses in a bag".

Also, The Uncommon Rose is also in Oregon (Corwallis). They have great
"own-root" roses. They are smaller and take a little longer to really
get going, but they have a lot of advantages.

Oh yeah, one other question. How's your soil? Lots of clay?

http://www.edmundsroses.com/
http://www.uncommonrose.com/

Old 14-05-2004, 07:08 PM
GoldLexus

Wow thank you for all the information! No I didn't fertilize so that wasn't
the problem. Perhaps I didn't dig deep enough. I did do the mound thing with
the compost tho' so I guess I was on the right track.
I will keep at the nursery, all they are offering with a receipt is store
credit but that is better than losing the money spent.
Thanks!
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 14-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Ali

I will keep at the nursery, all they are offering with a receipt is store
credit but that is better than losing the money spent.

I don't have any tips on the rose, but as for getting the store to cover you
despite not having a receipt, do you have a credit card statement or bank
statement that might show a payment to the nursery? If it's got the nursery
name, you could at least prove you bought there, if not exactly what. Might
do the trick.

Good luck

Ali

Old 19-05-2004, 09:02 PM
GoldLexus

Soil is clay but I prepared the area with a compost (a mushroom compost and
steer manure (sp?)) before planting. I dug the hole deeper than the roots
were long and twice as big around. We have had a combination of weather.
Right after planting it got warm for a few days, in the 70-80's. I watered
when it was warm. Have had rain lately. The area gets plenty of sun. I have
a row of established roses behind where I put the new roses they are
blooming like crazy! I have had several nice cut bouquets already.
I called the nursery and they are willing to refund my money with a receipt
but I can't find that receipt so I am screwed.
I want to replace these roses. What is the best way to purchase roses this
late in the game. I want to get unusually colors. One rose I got was a