Old 19-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] bonsai help needed...

Please help me.... I think my bonsai dying

I've just repotted my tree after suspecting the soil was

infected. I
used some soil which says 'kyoto bonsai' - hope that helps. The

thing
that Im concerned with is that the end of the leaves have

turned brown.
Reassuring after re-potting new shoots have been appearing but

they
themselves have a brown tinge on their leaf tips. Some older

leaves are
totally brown, should I remove these? Also can anyone tell me

variety
my bonsai is?? I have a label with it which reads "Place in

light, but
not in direct sunglight. Water Daily. Normal room temperature.

Trim to
shape"

What made you suspect the soil was infected? With what?

You say Leaves" have turned brown. From that I gather the tree
is not a pine or a juniper. Can you describe the leaves? Edges
smooth? Toothed? Coarse or fine toothed? Lobed, like a maple?
DARK green? Light green?

If you can take a picture of the tree (and a leaf) and post it on
our gallery (accessed through the web page below) we could give
you more help.

When you repotted, did the roots look OK? Were they
yellow/white/brown or black and gooey looking?

Did you cut off any roots? How much?

When you replanted, did you work the soil thoroughly in around
the roots so there were no air pockets in the soil?

Did you fertilize? With what? (If you didn't -- DON'T.)

Tell us how you have been watering this tree. How often?
Method?

How large is the tree (height). Where have you been keeping it?
Inside? Where inside?

Outdoors? In and out?

It is fairly normal for a tree to exhibit some form or transplant
shock. That may be all you have. It also is normal for a tree
to not survive transplanting efforts of a person new to the skill
of bonsai.

Until we can consider your answers (and please reply to the
group -- not just to me!): Do NOT overwater. Let the soil go
until it is almost dry before you water. Get it outside in
filtered sunlight.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++