Old 19-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] bonsai help needed...

Please help me.... I think my bonsai dying

I've just repotted my tree after suspecting the soil was

infected. I
used some soil which says 'kyoto bonsai' - hope that helps. The

thing
that Im concerned with is that the end of the leaves have

turned brown.
Reassuring after re-potting new shoots have been appearing but

they
themselves have a brown tinge on their leaf tips. Some older

leaves are
totally brown, should I remove these? Also can anyone tell me

variety
my bonsai is?? I have a label with it which reads "Place in

light, but
not in direct sunglight. Water Daily. Normal room temperature.

Trim to
shape"

What made you suspect the soil was infected? With what?

You say Leaves" have turned brown. From that I gather the tree
is not a pine or a juniper. Can you describe the leaves? Edges
smooth? Toothed? Coarse or fine toothed? Lobed, like a maple?
DARK green? Light green?

If you can take a picture of the tree (and a leaf) and post it on
our gallery (accessed through the web page below) we could give
you more help.

When you repotted, did the roots look OK? Were they
yellow/white/brown or black and gooey looking?

Did you cut off any roots? How much?

When you replanted, did you work the soil thoroughly in around
the roots so there were no air pockets in the soil?

Did you fertilize? With what? (If you didn't -- DON'T.)

Tell us how you have been watering this tree. How often?
Method?

How large is the tree (height). Where have you been keeping it?
Inside? Where inside?

Outdoors? In and out?

It is fairly normal for a tree to exhibit some form or transplant
shock. That may be all you have. It also is normal for a tree
to not survive transplanting efforts of a person new to the skill
of bonsai.

Until we can consider your answers (and please reply to the
group -- not just to me!): Do NOT overwater. Let the soil go
until it is almost dry before you water. Get it outside in
filtered sunlight.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-05-2004, 11:11 PM

Quoting Jim Lewis :

Please help me.... I think my bonsai dying

sn ip
It is fairly normal for a tree to exhibit some form or transplant
shock. That may be all you have. It also is normal for a tree
to not survive transplanting efforts of a person new to the skill
of bonsai.

Until we can consider your answers (and please reply to the
group -- not just to me!): Do NOT overwater. Let the soil go
until it is almost dry before you water. Get it outside in
filtered sunlight.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Isn't there a variety of serissa called "Kyoto?"

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a
Snset 37
living in exile from New England on the West Bank (of the Hudson)

Old 20-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Hi, thankyou for your reply. I've posted some pics at: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~u2cy

- if they don't work please let me know, thanks (sorry that I had to use a shoddy web cam)

I suspected the soil was infected as I saw minute white bugs (like centipedes).

The leaves were once dark green and they are very smooth. They have since lightened and many of the leaves have brown tips.

When I repotted the tree the soil was very dry, but I assume the roots were in good condition as they were very extensive. The roots were not cut at all.

There will be not air pockets around the roots, I made sure of this.

I did not fertilize, someone recommended to me not to feed it until it picked up.

The bonsai is watered when it looks as if it needs watering. Although this is very intermitent. I would say the tree has been sometimes over and under-watered. Since the replanting ive been keeping the soil very damp. Using a jug I pour water onto the soil, its creates a puddle for a few minutes then drains through the soil leaving it all moist. Excess water is caught in a drip tray.

The tree is about 11" tall and has been kept indoor always for just under two years since the day I got it. In its time it has been very healthy - dark green leaves and it needed pruining quite regularly.

What do u mean by filtered sunglight? Does it need some kind of protection outdoors?

Many Thanks, I really appreciate your time

Chris
Old 20-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

NO! Very damp is NOT good. Keep the soil on the dry side. Too
much water will rot the roots, especially in a newly potted tree.

The tree is about 11" tall and has been kept indoor always for

just
under two years since the day I got it. In its time it has been

very
healthy - dark green leaves and it needed pruining quite

regularly.

What do u mean by filtered sunglight? Does it need some kind of
protection outdoors?

Light shade in the afternoon -- maybe dappled sunlight under a
tree or under a lathe screen. Morning sun is OK.

The pictures are so small, I can't really tell but it looks like
you have one of the Ficus family -- maybe F. benjamina. They are
pretty tough, but more than ever do NOT overwater. If
temperatures stay over 40 degrees (F) it should be outside!

Old 20-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I suspected the soil was infected as I saw minute white bugs (like
centipedes).

Anytime you see lots of arthropods in the soil, you should think "Too much water". Most soil insects are not harmful to plants, but the fact that they are present is an indication that soil conditions are moister than bonsai like. Same thing for earthwor
ms: worms are nice critters, but their presence in a bonsai pot suggests the soil is too heavy.

Nina
---
Nina Shishkoff

Old 20-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Thanks for your help guys!

I'll try to take a better pic soon cus I would really like to know what variety it is.

What do the brown tips on the ends of the leaves mean? I thought it was due to a phosphate defficiency. I've been using Kyoto soil, so are there enough nutrients in there? Do you recommend fertilizing?

I live in north England and am not that keen placing it outside. But if it will do it good, I will.

Kind Regards

Chris

Pre-Bonsai Help Needed - Website Updated #1 zoomer Bonsai 0 23-01-2006 12:16 AM
bonsai help needed... aca02cay Bonsai 0 19-05-2004 07:14 PM
[IBC] ****X-bonsai (was: [IBC] Bonsai Figurine - Warrios / Samuai / Bushido etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2004 03:27 PM
[IBC] Bonsai Pottery FAQ - Help Needed John T. Jarrett Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 11:46 PM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM