Old 20-05-2004, 01:02 PM
aca02cay aca02cay is offline
Registered User

Default [IBC] bonsai help needed...

Hi, thankyou for your reply. I've posted some pics at: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~u2cy

- if they don't work please let me know, thanks (sorry that I had to use a shoddy web cam)

I suspected the soil was infected as I saw minute white bugs (like centipedes).

The leaves were once dark green and they are very smooth. They have since lightened and many of the leaves have brown tips.

When I repotted the tree the soil was very dry, but I assume the roots were in good condition as they were very extensive. The roots were not cut at all.

There will be not air pockets around the roots, I made sure of this.

I did not fertilize, someone recommended to me not to feed it until it picked up.

The bonsai is watered when it looks as if it needs watering. Although this is very intermitent. I would say the tree has been sometimes over and under-watered. Since the replanting ive been keeping the soil very damp. Using a jug I pour water onto the soil, its creates a puddle for a few minutes then drains through the soil leaving it all moist. Excess water is caught in a drip tray.

The tree is about 11" tall and has been kept indoor always for just under two years since the day I got it. In its time it has been very healthy - dark green leaves and it needed pruining quite regularly.

What do u mean by filtered sunglight? Does it need some kind of protection outdoors?

Many Thanks, I really appreciate your time

Chris