Old 21-05-2004, 03:02 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Default How fast do abborites grow?

From: "SugarChile"

Gee, I hate to disagree with Pam, who is incredibly knowledgeable, and it's
hard to imagine that anything would grow *faster* here in PA then in the
Pacific Northwest, but my arborvitaes went from 3-4 feet to 8 ft. in more
like 4 or 5 years. Some varieties--I have several-- were faster than
others, but none of them took anything like10 years to reach an impressive
size. I now spend considerable time each spring pruning them back, so they
don't get gangly and suffer ice storm damage.

Your mileage may vary, of course, according to the quality of you soil and
your climate.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I just planted 14, they're 4 - 1 1/2 feet tall I spaced them 40" apart

center
to center. They're in full sun/partial shade.

How soon can I expect them to be 8' tall?

TIA

Once established and if conditions are optimum, most arborvitaes (Thuja
occidentalis cvts.) can be expected to put on growth of 6-12" per year.

They
should take about two season to establish, so you are looking at about 10
years before they reach the desired height.

pam - gardengal

Thanks to all who responded.