Old 19-05-2004, 12:07 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Default How fast do abborites grow?

I just planted 14, they're 4 - 1 1/2 feet tall I spaced them 40" apart center
to center. They're in full sun/partial shade.

How soon can I expect them to be 8' tall?

TIA
Old 19-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Pam - gardengal

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I just planted 14, they're 4 - 1 1/2 feet tall I spaced them 40" apart

center
to center. They're in full sun/partial shade.

How soon can I expect them to be 8' tall?

TIA

Once established and if conditions are optimum, most arborvitaes (Thuja
occidentalis cvts.) can be expected to put on growth of 6-12" per year. They
should take about two season to establish, so you are looking at about 10
years before they reach the desired height.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-05-2004, 01:02 AM
SugarChile

Gee, I hate to disagree with Pam, who is incredibly knowledgeable, and it's
hard to imagine that anything would grow *faster* here in PA then in the
Pacific Northwest, but my arborvitaes went from 3-4 feet to 8 ft. in more
like 4 or 5 years. Some varieties--I have several-- were faster than
others, but none of them took anything like10 years to reach an impressive
size. I now spend considerable time each spring pruning them back, so they
don't get gangly and suffer ice storm damage.

Your mileage may vary, of course, according to the quality of you soil and
your climate.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 21-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Cereus-validus

Aren't you going to enlighten us as to the correct name of your plant,
laughing boy?

You know full well that there is no such thing as "abborites".

From: "SugarChile"

[...]

Thanks to all who responded.

Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Cereus-validus

The day after you are that tall.

You just planted the darn things. At least let the roots get established
before you expect them to take off.

It will at leat a year before they show any significant growth and much
longer before they double in size.

Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Vox Humana

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I just planted 14, they're 4 - 1 1/2 feet tall I spaced them 40" apart

center
to center. They're in full sun/partial shade.

How soon can I expect them to be 8' tall?

What is/are "abborites?"