Old 21-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus29346

Default Poppies from Seed

In article , gregpresley wrote:
I have grown poppies using store seeds. They are the usual opium poppy
foliage - the flowers were single, sort of a pinkish lavendar - pretty,

Um, are these opium poppies legal to plant?

I planted them in an area where we removed a few trees and planted
four new fruit trees as a new orchard. Because the new trees are very
small, that area has a lot of unnused land. Icould not think of
anything easier than just spreading store poppy seeds on the ground
and raking it a bit. Hopefully, we could harvest some poppy seeds
later, if not, I would simply have wasted 50 grams of store bought
seeds.

although not my favorite color in a poppy. In my opinion, the peony flowered
doubles - either in pink or red - are the best looking opium poppy
varieties. I think the shirley poppies, especially the ones with painted
rims, are generally more attractive, although the gray-green opium poppy
foliage is beautiful until after the flowers bloom - when it goes tan and
gets ugly pretty quickly.
"Rich McKinney" wrote in message
om...
All,

Has anyone tried to sprout poppies using the poppy seeds from the grocery
store?