Old 21-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Rich McKinney

Default Poppies from Seed

All,

Has anyone tried to sprout poppies using the poppy seeds from the grocery
store?

--
Rich McKinney
Reply to
Old 21-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Ignoramus32087

In article , Rich McKinney wrote:
All,

Has anyone tried to sprout poppies using the poppy seeds from the grocery
store?

I did, it works. Maybe not with all batches, but it worked for me. I
tried it last week and planted a whole lot of poppies in the backyard.

Old 21-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Registered User

Location: florida, usa

i think that they are called breadseed poppies
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/238/
all kinds of poppyseeds will germinate easily, but as i recently found out, will not grow very big or very fast in zones 7 and above. i dont know if this helps.
Old 21-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Rich McKinney

Thanks, That was quick....
Old 21-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Ignoramus32087

In article m, agnatha3141 wrote:
i think that they are called breadseed poppies
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/238/
all kinds of poppyseeds will germinate easily, but as i recently found
out, will not grow very big or very fast in zones 7 and above. i dont
know if this helps.

Well, this is simply an experiment, I am in zone 5.

Old 21-05-2004, 07:04 AM
gregpresley

I have grown poppies using store seeds. They are the usual opium poppy
foliage - the flowers were single, sort of a pinkish lavendar - pretty,
although not my favorite color in a poppy. In my opinion, the peony flowered
doubles - either in pink or red - are the best looking opium poppy
varieties. I think the shirley poppies, especially the ones with painted
rims, are generally more attractive, although the gray-green opium poppy
foliage is beautiful until after the flowers bloom - when it goes tan and
gets ugly pretty quickly.
om...

Old 21-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus29346

In article , gregpresley wrote:
I have grown poppies using store seeds. They are the usual opium poppy
foliage - the flowers were single, sort of a pinkish lavendar - pretty,

Um, are these opium poppies legal to plant?

I planted them in an area where we removed a few trees and planted
four new fruit trees as a new orchard. Because the new trees are very
small, that area has a lot of unnused land. Icould not think of
anything easier than just spreading store poppy seeds on the ground
and raking it a bit. Hopefully, we could harvest some poppy seeds
later, if not, I would simply have wasted 50 grams of store bought
seeds.

Old 21-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Rich McKinney

I am in Zone 7b (Southern NC). My wife wants to try it anyway.

Old 22-05-2004, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

They are legal to plant as long as you're not planning to harvest the pods
for opium. However, it's too late in the year to plant them now. They, like
all other annual poppies, need to be started while the weather is still
cold - earliest spring in the north (like late February to late March) , and
fall in warmer zones. Some believe that frost helps to break the seed
coat - and in any case, the roots need to develop long before hot weather
strikes.

Old 23-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Frogleg

On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:13:12 -0700, "gregpresley"
wrote:

it's too late in the year to plant them now. They, like
all other annual poppies, need to be started while the weather is still
cold - earliest spring in the north (like late February to late March) , and
fall in warmer zones. Some believe that frost helps to break the seed
coat - and in any case, the roots need to develop long before hot weather
strikes.

I direct seeded at the end of April here (zone 7b) in a plot in full
sun, and had blooms well before season's end. I don't know how many
successful plant for the number of seeds sown, but quite a few. It may
be ideal to start them earlier in spring, or way earlier, in the
previous fall, but they seemed to do OK.