Old 21-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] protecting trees from cicada damage

In a message dated 5/21/2004 10:27:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

Mike

Doesn't Deer netting have 3/4 inch holes?

The article suggest 3/8-1/2" holes max.

Do you think deer netting will work? Just wondering because
I have not found
any screening with holes smaller then 3/4"yet.

Not seen or heard any big bugs, yet here in Western Mass.

Doug Taylor

Doug:

I found deer netting with 1/2" holes. Now, is this going to work. I do not know. Unfortunately, I cannot move my large Elms, Hornbeam, Gumi, Ume, etc. into the house for weeks.

Again, I am attempting to avoid the use of insecticides. I have only been in the art for 15 years, so I cannot base my current remedies on the prior Cicada invasion. );-)

I suppose that applying a second layer of deer netting might do the job if the first layering allows for too much access. . . I can think of better things to be doing that building an impenetrable Cicada barrier. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
hometown.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: