Old 20-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] protecting trees from cicada damage

“If this a 500-year-old hardwood bonsai that you and your family have worked on, you probably don’t want nature to help you too much and change the course of centuries. I’d protect that.”

For a good article on protecting trees from damage: http://www.wtop.com/index.php?nid=367&sid=202898

Nina, whose cicadas are really creepy guys who just sit and stare.

---
Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Mark Hill

Thanks for the article Nina.
Very informative.
Guess I won't worry about my landscape trees.

I have a simple question ....... I have a number of small "critters" that
appear every once in awhile and they don't seem to like a light coating of
very dilute Neem Oil.
When I discover them walking about my maples, azaleas, etc I give the trees
a quick squirt and they disappear for the season.
Will a light coating of Neem Oil have any effect on the cicada's ??
How about Carl's famous soap solution ?

Still worried about my bonsai !!

Thanks
Mark Hill

PS ..... Here about 10 miles south of Harrisburg PA I haven't seen a single
cicada yet !!

Old 20-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Kitsune Miko

I can just imagine Nina's trees siting on a shelf in
their net baggies. Did you use colored ribbon to tie
them? Glad they are safe.

Kitsune Miko
--- Nina Shishkoff wrote:
Will a light coating of Neem Oil have any effect

on the cicada's ??
How about Carl's famous soap solution ?

Still worried about my bonsai !!

A personal observation about cicadas: they are
zombies. They have no survival instincts. So don't
expect them to leave a tree just because you sprayed
it. Remember, they don't really eat, and when they
go to lay their eggs, the wrong "end" is involved.
So protectant sprays aren't going to work.

I bought 20 yards of netting for 0.50/yd. You can't
beat it.

Nina.
---
Nina Shishkoff

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
If you use your mind to study reality, you won't understand either your mind or reality. If you study reality without using your mind, you'll understand both. People capable of true vision, know that the mind is empty.
--Bodhidharma

Old 20-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I can just imagine Nina's trees siting on a shelf in
their net baggies. Did you use colored ribbon to tie
them? Glad they are safe.

My trees are lined up on the ground, and I plan to drop the netting over the whole row of them (except the pines, which, according to that article, aren't harmed by cicadas). I haven't done anything yet, because "my" cicadas are just sitting. And staring
Old 21-05-2004, 04:09 PM
DougDT

Mike

Doesn't Deer netting have 3/4 inch holes?

The article suggest 3/8-1/2" holes max.

Do you think deer netting will work? Just wondering because I have not found
any screening with holes smaller then 3/4"yet.

Not seen or heard any big bugs, yet here in Western Mass.

Doug Taylor

Cicada Damage Benign Vanilla Ponds 5 09-06-2004 03:16 PM
[IBC] Cicada report-- frontlines David J. Bockman Bonsai 6 19-05-2004 04:07 AM
[IBC] Cicada Scare Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 15-05-2004 08:08 PM
[IBC] cicada Lisa Miller Bonsai 3 12-04-2004 08:33 PM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM