Old 21-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Pam Moore

Default Sick Garlic

On 20 May 2004 05:21:56 -0700, (Julie) wrote:

First time growing Garlic. mine were looking well for a while now they
are yellowing and starting to die off at the tips. As you can see from
the photos( Sorry about the quality) they are a sorry lot. They were
planted in March and the soil is mostly clay BUT I have added loads of
compost and it is easily worked. I added in bone meal and watered when
it seemed to need it. However beyond that I don't know what sort of
fertilizers they need.

They look OK. Mine are starting to die down now. I expect to harvest
in June, but if you leave it too late, the tops die off and you may
leave some behind! A tip: dig not pull, or you may leave the bulb
behind!
If you planted in March you may not get very big bulbs. Planting in
October is advised. However I like Dwayne's advice and will try some
of his ideas later on.

Pam in Bristol