Old 22-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Insect Help Please

STEVEN STEIN said:

I have something attacking the leaves of my white eggplants but not the
tomatoes, zuchs, lettuce or cucumbers. Suggestions on how to combat
appreciates.

Flea beetles, most likely.

Mulch with leaf mold: sprinkleground coffee around the base of the plants;
spray with a mixture of garlic, hot pepper and coffee.

Neem extracts / neem oil (may list active ingredient Azadirachtin) can be used
safely.

Usually only a problem early in the season. It's best to hold off planting
eggplants until much later than tomatoes and peppers. Usually they can
outgrow the first attacks by flea beetles if planted in rich soil when the
weather is reliable hot.

(attributed to Don Marti)