Old 23-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Diana Kulaga

Default basal keiki on Dtps Kenneth Schubert :-)

Just picked up a Kenneth Schubert 'Blue' from Oak Hill at Redland last week.
It's in spike. I've seen Phals respike and keiki at the same time; I've
also seen them sulk. If the plant is thriving, a spike is possible, even
likely, with the keiki, IMHO.

Diana

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
My Dtps Kenneth Schubert is in the process of starting a basal keiki. It

is
the second Dtps to do so in my apartment this year. Very neat. These Dtps
are also growing new leaves of their own, which are nicely light green in
color -- all told, I think they are quite healthy.

None of my summer bloomers have started spikes yet. I am wondering whether
to expect spikes of the ones that are having basal keikis. or is the
keiki-ing their activity for this summer. How much of a mother plant's
energy does keiki-ing take? Is it most likely that these plants won't

flower
this season, since they need the energy to grow the keiki? Or if these are
healthy Dtps plants are they likely to both grow a basal keiki and to grow

spike at the same time? Just wondering what to expect.

Since all my summer bloomers (3 Dtps and one phal bellina) were acquired
about a year ago, I don't know them well enough yet, and don't know

whether
they will reflower for me, but they have all the other signs of being

happy
campers, so I am hopeful.

Joanna