Old 22-05-2004, 04:03 PM
J Fortuna

Default basal keiki on Dtps Kenneth Schubert :-)

My Dtps Kenneth Schubert is in the process of starting a basal keiki. It is
the second Dtps to do so in my apartment this year. Very neat. These Dtps
are also growing new leaves of their own, which are nicely light green in
color -- all told, I think they are quite healthy.

None of my summer bloomers have started spikes yet. I am wondering whether
to expect spikes of the ones that are having basal keikis. or is the
keiki-ing their activity for this summer. How much of a mother plant's
energy does keiki-ing take? Is it most likely that these plants won't flower
this season, since they need the energy to grow the keiki? Or if these are
healthy Dtps plants are they likely to both grow a basal keiki and to grow a
spike at the same time? Just wondering what to expect.

Since all my summer bloomers (3 Dtps and one phal bellina) were acquired
about a year ago, I don't know them well enough yet, and don't know whether
they will reflower for me, but they have all the other signs of being happy
campers, so I am hopeful.

Joanna

Old 23-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Reka

"J Fortuna" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
My Dtps Kenneth Schubert is in the process of starting a basal keiki. It

is
the second Dtps to do so in my apartment this year. Very neat. These Dtps
are also growing new leaves of their own, which are nicely light green in
color -- all told, I think they are quite healthy.

As a matter of interest, my K. Schubert is spiking at the moment. Maybe
yours will as well.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 23-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Diana Kulaga

Just picked up a Kenneth Schubert 'Blue' from Oak Hill at Redland last week.
It's in spike. I've seen Phals respike and keiki at the same time; I've
also seen them sulk. If the plant is thriving, a spike is possible, even
likely, with the keiki, IMHO.

Diana

Old 23-05-2004, 07:18 AM
J Fortuna

Diana,
I shared your opinion with my Kenny Schu, hopefully it'll listen to you. :-)
Thanks,
Joanna

hlink.net...

Old 23-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Steve

J Fortuna wrote:

My Dtps Kenneth Schubert is in the process of starting a basal keiki......
.................................. How much of a mother plant's
energy does keiki-ing take? ..........................

Very little, if any, in my opinion. We don't worry about a plant
making a new leaf at the top ...and making a new leaf at the base is
almost the same. The keiki will grow leaves, absorb light, and will
soon pay its own way.

Steve

Old 23-05-2004, 07:20 AM
J Fortuna

Steve,
That's good news, and now that you have explained it, I have just had the "I
should have thought of that" moment. :-)
Thanks,
Joanna

Old 23-05-2004, 02:02 PM
John DeGood

J Fortuna wrote:
"Steve" wrote
The keiki will grow leaves, absorb light, and will
soon pay its own way.

Steve,
That's good news, and now that you have explained it, I
have just had the "I should have thought of that" moment. :-)

No need to apologize, Joanna, as this is indeed a
foreign concept to humans: many of our own children
remain dependent on mom and dad their entire lives. :-)

John

Dtps Kenneth Schubert coerulea V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 10:35 PM
My Dtps Kenneth Schubert `Oriental Sky ` Claude[_2_] Orchid Photos 3 27-02-2007 04:28 PM
not-quite-basal keiki J Fortuna Orchids 7 21-10-2005 09:33 PM
sub-basal keiki? J Fortuna Orchids 6 13-03-2004 04:43 PM
Ostrya Virginiana, Garlon 4, and Basal Bark spraying... Bruce Richardson alt.forestry 11 22-06-2003 02:33 AM