Old 23-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Ka30P

Default OT - blue rose

It's the same picture that the Telegraph article had - but - it is an
illustrator's conception of what a blue rose would look like.
They still have to actually produce the thing.

The discovery was made by chance by two biochemists conducting research into

drugs for cancer and Alzheimer's in a medical laboratory at Vanderbilt
University, Nashville, Tennessee.
Professor Peter Guengerich and Dr Elizabeth Gillam were trying to find out how
the human liver breaks down drugs when they came across a liver enzyme that had
a startling effect.
"When we moved a liver enzyme into a bacterium, the bacterium turned blue," Dr
Guengerich said. "We were aware that there were people in the world who had
been interested in making coloured flowers, especially a blue rose, for a
number of years.
"Dr Gillam had the bright idea that we could capitalise on our discovery by
moving the gene into plants - and produce a blue rose.

They think that they could get the rose up and going within a year or two :-)

kathy :-)