Old 23-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Ka30P

Default OT - blue rose

Well, this looks kewl!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../23/nrose23.xm
l&sSheet=/news/2004/05/23/ixnewstop.html

kathy :-)
Old 23-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Nedra

I can't get the page to open. If you are talking about the
blue rose ... I saw it on Drudge this afternoon.
'Tis a beauty... a true blue rose.

Nedra

Old 23-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Ka30P

It's the same picture that the Telegraph article had - but - it is an
illustrator's conception of what a blue rose would look like.
They still have to actually produce the thing.

The discovery was made by chance by two biochemists conducting research into

drugs for cancer and Alzheimer's in a medical laboratory at Vanderbilt
University, Nashville, Tennessee.
Professor Peter Guengerich and Dr Elizabeth Gillam were trying to find out how
the human liver breaks down drugs when they came across a liver enzyme that had
a startling effect.
"When we moved a liver enzyme into a bacterium, the bacterium turned blue," Dr
Guengerich said. "We were aware that there were people in the world who had
been interested in making coloured flowers, especially a blue rose, for a
number of years.
"Dr Gillam had the bright idea that we could capitalise on our discovery by
moving the gene into plants - and produce a blue rose.

They think that they could get the rose up and going within a year or two :-)

kathy :-)
Old 23-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Charles

On Sun, 23 May 2004 03:41:09 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

I can't get the page to open. If you are talking about the
blue rose ... I saw it on Drudge this afternoon.
'Tis a beauty... a true blue rose.

Nedra

Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/2llqt

--

- Charles
-
Old 23-05-2004, 05:06 PM

notice under the picture it says "How the blue rose could look" .. could, cause until
that gene is moved into the rose and tried dont know what kind of interactions there
are going to be, or even if the enzyme is going to get expressed. Ingrid

wrote:

I can't get the page to open. If you are talking about the
blue rose ... I saw it on Drudge this afternoon.
'Tis a beauty... a true blue rose.

Nedra

Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/2llqt

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-05-2004, 12:07 AM
lalu

'They' said it could take a year to get that blue rose up and running,
whatever that means, but in fact to get any rose to market takes
about 7 years. If they were able to develop a blue rose thru genetic
manipulation of some sort they would then have to do field tests to
see if the thing was able to grow in many geographical areas, get
patents, etc. Then they would have to propagate that one little new
rose plant into thousands of clones for commercial availability via
grafting or cuttings -- this would take several years since you can
only potentially grow one new plant from each vegetative bud from the
parent plant and its resulting off-spring.
They are however getting closer to good purple roses without
extra-curricular genetic engineering these days since roses lack a
true blue gene.

Lalu

wrote:

I can't get the page to open. If you are talking about the
blue rose ... I saw it on Drudge this afternoon.
'Tis a beauty... a true blue rose.

Nedra

Try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/2llqt