Old 23-05-2004, 09:05 PM
V_coerulea

Default Armored scale?

Alcohol works when used with a surfactant. I prefer 409 Orange. I mix 1 pint
409 orange with 1 pint of isopropanol in a gallon jug and add enough water
to fill it up. The orange may have nothing to do with the efficacy of this
mix, but it does make it nice to work with. A thorough spraying usually
results in near 100% kill. Of course, the 1 or 2 that escape need to be
dealt with either individually or with a second spray. And you may have to
unpot and remove the media in order to get those on the underside of the
rhizome. You were going to repot anyway, right?
Gary

"theoneflasehaddock" ****off wrote in message
Just wondering, because of my new orchid, a Miltassia entering quarantein,

from
a relatives collection, which is, of course, covered in armored scale, and

has
been since they got it at home depot two years ago. I am planning on

trying
isoprapanol alcohol first. For now, the plant is staying outdoors, and it

will
be out untill the pest is gone (then it will be kept in a 10 gallon tank

away
from other plants). Anyone here have successful experience ridding a plant

of
those horrible things?
The particular plant is very vigorous... to the point where it has 5 new
growths forming, despite the damned scale.
theoneflasehaddock