Old 24-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed

"David Gibson" wrote in message
Hi Tumbleweed,

Thanks for the suggestion about the plastic. I have covered the worst
areas with clearish plastic sheeting. Could you tell me if I need to
remove it now ang again to let the grass get some fresh air (say once
a day for a couple of hours) or can I simply leave it down constantly
until the seed has germinated & rooted.

As I have not done this before I do not know if the constant blanket
of the plastic sheet will affect the existing healthy grass under the
sheeting.

Not IME, no ill efects on the existing grass (its only on for a week or so)

Lastly, how many days would you suggest that I leave the plastic down
for.

Regards
Dave Gibson

With this weather, I'd say it will have sprouted in about a week, at which
time you can take it off and water if its dry. FWIW I didnt use clear
plastic, I used cut open compost bags, pretty thick stuff, just about
lightproof.
I think the high humidity and higher temp under the cover takes about a week
off germination time.

Let us know what happens.

--
Tumbleweed