Old 24-05-2004, 09:06 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Dracanea Marginata plant (indoor) - pruning and getting to sprout more bits

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Hi

I'm not really an accomplished house plant keeper. However, my Dracaena
Marginata has ended up growing quite tall and thin and it's bending under
the weight of the leaves so I'd like to cut it down. What I've read

already
suggests to just cut the stem and it will take a while to start growing
leaves again. However, is there any way to make it start growing leaves in
two or even three places? It's only growing them from one place at the
moment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

You need to behead it in the spring when it is growing well. In most cases
this will cause a number of buds to sprout below the cut. This is how the
multi-branched specimens are produced. When the new heads have leaves on
them feed it a little then later in summer if they are a good size feed it a
bit more.

It will also keep its leaves better and look bushier if it is in strong
light, even a little sun. If the light is too dim it will tend to stick to
being thin and spindly no matter how many times you cut it as it is spending
all its effort trying to grow tall to reach better light.

You can also strike the head that you cut off as a bonus.

David