Old 24-05-2004, 08:02 AM
tHatDudeUK

Default Dracanea Marginata plant (indoor) - pruning and getting to sprout more bits

Hi

I'm not really an accomplished house plant keeper. However, my Dracaena
Marginata has ended up growing quite tall and thin and it's bending under
the weight of the leaves so I'd like to cut it down. What I've read already
suggests to just cut the stem and it will take a while to start growing
leaves again. However, is there any way to make it start growing leaves in
two or even three places? It's only growing them from one place at the
moment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

Old 24-05-2004, 09:06 AM
David Hare-Scott

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Hi

I'm not really an accomplished house plant keeper. However, my Dracaena
Marginata has ended up growing quite tall and thin and it's bending under
the weight of the leaves so I'd like to cut it down. What I've read

already
suggests to just cut the stem and it will take a while to start growing
leaves again. However, is there any way to make it start growing leaves in
two or even three places? It's only growing them from one place at the
moment.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

You need to behead it in the spring when it is growing well. In most cases
this will cause a number of buds to sprout below the cut. This is how the
multi-branched specimens are produced. When the new heads have leaves on
them feed it a little then later in summer if they are a good size feed it a
bit more.

It will also keep its leaves better and look bushier if it is in strong
light, even a little sun. If the light is too dim it will tend to stick to
being thin and spindly no matter how many times you cut it as it is spending
all its effort trying to grow tall to reach better light.

You can also strike the head that you cut off as a bonus.

David

Old 24-05-2004, 09:48 PM
tHatDudeUK

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
You need to behead it in the spring when it is growing well. In most

cases
this will cause a number of buds to sprout below the cut. This is how the
multi-branched specimens are produced. When the new heads have leaves on
them feed it a little then later in summer if they are a good size feed it

bit more.

So my understanding that it just regrows from the part it growed from before
is wrong. Does this just happen, is there a known way of encouraging it to
happen or does it just happen?

It will also keep its leaves better and look bushier if it is in strong
light, even a little sun. If the light is too dim it will tend to stick

being thin and spindly no matter how many times you cut it as it is

spending
all its effort trying to grow tall to reach better light.

The plants past location would explain that problem then with it all bent
one direction, although now it is in the brightest place possible.

You can also strike the head that you cut off as a bonus.

Sorry, not too sure what you mean by the word "strike" here?! All I can
think you mean is stick the end in some rooter powder and plonk it in a pot
of some good planting soil.

I guess I'm probably best doing it now as in the UK the warmer weather has
just started to come and I think it's growing more than it has, I think it's
officially spring :-) Shows what I know, lol.

Thanks for your help.

Old 25-05-2004, 08:06 AM
David Hare-Scott

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

So my understanding that it just regrows from the part it growed from

before
is wrong. Does this just happen, is there a known way of encouraging it to
happen or does it just happen?

Mostly it just happens in my experience. You could try giving the cut top a
touch of rooting powder.

You can also strike the head that you cut off as a bonus.

Sorry, not too sure what you mean by the word "strike" here?! All I can
think you mean is stick the end in some rooter powder and plonk it in a

pot
of some good planting soil.

That's what I mean.

David