Old 24-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Satsuki problem, soils ( I changed the title as subject drifted)

In a message dated 5/22/2004 12:10:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Mike,
I'm kind of suprised to read that you use a similar mix to what I've been
using for 25 years ( except I don't use the turface with haydite). I thought
I had read in the past that you used Japanese soils on azaleas. Maybe I'm
wrong. BTW, with our freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw Ohio winters the japanese soils
quickly turn to mush. I've seen a few REALLY nice trees dead over winter and
when pulled out in spring it looked like two-year-old cat litter sopping
mush!
Dale:

In general, I am using Akadama with the Japanese Pines. I would have to
agree with you that these soils do not hold up over the long haul; however, I have
yet to see such outstanding root development in Pines with high-aggregate
based soil mixes.

The outcome is more frequent soil changes. As for the impact of winter on
Akadama, the Japanese White Pines potted in this soil were frozen for
approximately 2-3 months with no adverse effects on their health.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
hometown.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: