Old 22-05-2004, 06:03 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Satsuki problem, soils ( I changed the title as subject drifted)

Old 24-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 5/22/2004 12:10:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Mike,
I'm kind of suprised to read that you use a similar mix to what I've been
using for 25 years ( except I don't use the turface with haydite). I thought
I had read in the past that you used Japanese soils on azaleas. Maybe I'm
wrong. BTW, with our freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw Ohio winters the japanese soils
quickly turn to mush. I've seen a few REALLY nice trees dead over winter and
when pulled out in spring it looked like two-year-old cat litter sopping
mush!
Dale:

In general, I am using Akadama with the Japanese Pines. I would have to
agree with you that these soils do not hold up over the long haul; however, I have
yet to see such outstanding root development in Pines with high-aggregate
based soil mixes.

The outcome is more frequent soil changes. As for the impact of winter on
Akadama, the Japanese White Pines potted in this soil were frozen for
approximately 2-3 months with no adverse effects on their health.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
hometown.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-05-2004, 07:06 PM
dalecochoy

writes:
[...]

OK,
You stated,
it doesn't hold up long,
better root developement on pines,
more frequent soil changes,
no adverse effects on white pines after 2-3 months of freezing.

I certainly can't argue those points 'cause I don't grow Japanese white pines and I have nothing here potted in Japanese clays.

I'll still stay away though :)
I was just giving my opinion on what I've SEEN here in NE Ohio. and, after 25 years of using my soils I'm probably not going to buy a bunch of expensive Japanese soils, ( not to mention buying some Japanese White Pines ) to check it out further. :)

Does that make me stubborn?
:)

Dale

Old 25-05-2004, 04:04 AM
jhill

--
jhill

You can't see where you are going
if
You don't know where you've been

http://www.bonsaibeginnings.org/
jhill's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...nfo&userid=287
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=6795

Old 25-05-2004, 04:05 AM
TreeBay

Jim if you want that color you'll have to wait, or add soy sauce and a
dash of molasses.

The true color and bouquet are result of decomposition.

A Fish Emulsion Recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2vupb

Regards,

Matt