Old 24-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Al

Default Identifying species by their genes.

A while back there was a discussion on this topic. Today's Washington post
reports on an article published in Science, I think, that collected genetic
samples from dog breeds and using genetic structures called microsatellites,
they were able to identify which breed the sample came from with a 99%
accuracy.

What's a microsatellite?

What's the difference between a genus like Phalaenposis whose members will
interbreed and a single species like Canis familiaris which is highly
polymorphic. How is it determined that Phals are not like dogs but really
separate species? I know, I know....just speculate and enlighten. I will
not get involved in this discussion should one develop. I plan to read
along if it takes off on it's own but just sigh if it dyes without comment.

Al
As I have sad many times recently: A homophone is a terrible thing to
waist.