Old 24-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Mahonia

'Glen',

The label is probably indicating that 'No regular pruning is required'
as is the case with mahonias, but obviously you will prune if you think
that that is necessary to keep it within bounds or to shape it to your
satisfaction.

Similarly, it is often recommended that a particular named clematis does
not need pruning, but light pruning is often necessary and desirable to
tidy it up.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Glen Able" wrote in message

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hello folks.

I've been looking for a largish shrub for a shady spot. The RHS

website
and encyclopedia have Mahonia media 'Charity' listed as getting to

4m,
so I
went for that.

Now, after planting it I've noticed that the label on the pot

reckons
it
only gets to 120cm, so who am I supposed to believe?

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Glen',

This site will soothe your anxieties.

http://tinyurl.com/2dqk6

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Hmm, thanks. So the label was lying.

Interestingly, there's also what seems to be a "Don't prune" symbol on

the
label (a secateurs icon with a cross through it), whereas the site you
posted mentions what a mess it turns into if it's not pruned!